My ISP's marketing department has hit a new low

Git

Banned
Reaction score
In S Cal I use TWC - but I have to play the "game" every couple of years to take advantage of their 'new customer' deals. Just switched out the account from my daughter's name back into my name

That way I can keep my 300 down and 20 up for $65 :)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
In S Cal I use TWC - but I have to play the "game" every couple of years to take advantage of their 'new customer' deals. Just switched out the account from my daughter's name back into my name

That way I can keep my 300 down and 20 up for $65 :)
I call my ISP yearly too when my contract is up to get the new customer price back again for another year but I don't swap name instead I tell them that I got a flyer from their competitor offering me a new customer discount if I drop them and go with their competitor. They would instantly offer me another year contract with new customer price again. ;) It also work with DirectTV too, I just got them to knock off another 35 dollar a month from my bill for a year again after I told them I received a flyer from my local cable offering huge discounts etc. ;)

Try that method next time and you might not need to play that name swapping game again

Bill

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Believe me - I have. TWC said they have done it too many times

When it comes to DirecTV - I had been a customer for well over 14 years now or so. Finally just decided to try Dish - they have a guaranteed 'locked in' price for 2 years. We have had it for a month now and I am very pleased - I think I actually like the Hopper better then what DTV has

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have much other choices in Chicago besides Comcast....AT&T chokes if you watch HD on more than one TV and then start downloading stuff. RCN isn't available near me, so Comcast it is. Thankfully I barely have any issue with them. Mostly a couple random modem reboots and if it does go down, only a couple hours at most.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Believe me - I have. TWC said they have done it too many times

When it comes to DirecTV - I had been a customer for well over 14 years now or so. Finally just decided to try Dish - they have a guaranteed 'locked in' price for 2 years. We have had it for a month now and I am very pleased - I think I actually like the Hopper better then what DTV has
My friend have Dish and they like it but I am staying with DirecTV because I have a HTPC that I custom build and programmed and DirecTV boxes (receivers) have a http tuning where I can change channel using the Ethernet port on the DirecTV boxes. My HTPC is a server rack in the basement and all the DirecTV boxes are in the server rack with the HTCP where it change channel and record show from each boxes. Then each our TVs in the house have a client box attached to it (sort like your Hopper) which is connected to the HTPC in the basement.

With Ethernet tuning, HTPC send signal to the Ethernet to change the channel it wanted to record on each of the boxes which is a lot better than infrared tuning where you have to aim the emitter to the box and it always a hit and miss. Dish boxes don't support tuning via Ethernet port or I would probably have switched to Dish

I just hate the idea of paying 10 to 20 dollar a month to have a recording features and also custom HTPC allow me to program a commercial detector and have it automatically skip commercials for me.

Bill

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Watching stuff like Real Housewives made me feel dirty so we (Mrs. Q™ and me) decided to cancel our home cable and now we stream Acorn TV, Netflix and the occasional webcast (although I do miss The Hitler Channel). But a funny thing happened on the way to StreamVille: Cablevision forgot to turn off my broadcast basic...so now we also watch football games and PBS for free although we refuse to watch the Qrap on CBS, NBC and ABC.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
DSL is the only option for my cabin in TN. 5 down, 1 up. $100/mo.