my lost connection to server has come back again or gotten worse

Reaction score
it looks like when too many cameras see motion it loses the connection to the webserver and locks the program. this is happening even when no Ui3 windows are open on other machines.
when it happens I can not shut down bi or make any changes to it in an attempt to diagnose what is happening the furthest I can get is to open the utility screen than it takes me back to main desktop but all video streams are frozen.
I tried unplugging the poe camera switch so that no cameras feeds are reaching BI and that did not release the lockup and I am unable shutdown bi through taskmaster.
yesterday I tried unplugging switches that handle the cameras out at the gate to lighten the input load and that did not seem to help

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How long does BI stay frozen for? Could it just be that the service crashed and restarted while the local console was still open? Happens to me often enough. As recently as last night.

Reaction score
How long does BI stay frozen for? Could it just be that the service crashed and restarted while the local console was still open? Happens to me often enough. As recently as last night.
it happens every few minutes if there is any motion and it will sometimes lock up so hard and long I have to reboot the system

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Someone recently posted a similar issue where their system froze when several cameras detected motion.

Another member suggested changing a buffer(?) setting, and it was reported as being helpful fix.

I've tried searching for the thread, but unable to find it at this time. It was within the last week or so.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hah. MS Paint works. If you want something a little fancier, google docs has a "Drawing" app where you can create shapes and lines and text and stuff and move them around instead of having them immediately turn into flat pixels like they do in Paint.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I will give that a try it may look like something a red haired boy did after getting beaten by nuns wearing bad habits
I have no clue why this reply struck me so funny?!? But, I sat here for about five minutes laughing out loud!

I’m going to quote you and display the same on a custom reader board and place it in the man cave.

Thanks for the laughs on a cold ass Monday!

Reaction score
you think that was good your should have seen sister Michael Mary's face when she grabbed my by my tie to beat me like a bad pinta when her hands went up in the air and I was still on the ground smiling, I thought she saw Jesus till she realized that grandma replaced my noose with a clip-on

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
you think that was good your should have seen sister Michael Mary's face when she grabbed my by my tie to beat me like a bad pinta when her hands went up in the air and I was still on the ground smiling, I thought she saw Jesus till she realized that grandma replaced my noose with a clip-on
I just don't know what it is sometimes. But ya'll just crack me up to the Nth degree with how you reply. :facepalm: :lmao: :rofl:

Gut1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Cold air I’m having the same problem, about the only way I can keep this problem from happening it using 1080p VBR and not cycling cameras. Please post if anyone else discovers a better solution. The problem for me just started about 4 months ago.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Coldair / @Gut1234

Here running Blue Iris on a Windows 2016 64 bit server. Not as much overhead with the OS like Windows 10-11 desktop OS or use Windows 10-11 no fluff Enterprise.

You can also bind two Gb Ethernet ports on the BI server with 2 managed Gb switch Ethernet ports.

Describe your Internet ISP connection (ISP modem/router/AP combo?) going to your network and the connection to your BI server (type of switch) and Cameras (type of switch). Switch could be 100Mbs or 1000Mbs and or with or without POE to the cameras.

raeme

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this issue just the other day, but for me it was because I was running GPU Decoding/encoding i.e. on each camera I had it set to NVENCC decoding on the video tab.

Once I switched to Intel + VPP it stopped doing it.

But if you aren't using GPU encoding I'm not sure then, but you described exactly what I had happen to the point the whole computer locked up.

Reaction score
I had this issue just the other day, but for me it was because I was running GPU Decoding/encoding i.e. on each camera I had it set to NVENCC decoding on the video tab.

Once I switched to Intel + VPP it stopped doing it.

But if you aren't using GPU encoding I'm not sure then, but you described exactly what I had happen to the point the whole computer locked up.
I am using the GPU as it it a 1080 TI watercooled card

raeme

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using the GPU as it it a 1080 TI watercooled card
Yep so do I, 1080ti
Turn it to Intel + VPP (assuming you have an Intel) and I guarantee it won't do it. It solved mine. Seems there's an issue with the initialisation of the CUDA decoder the logs aren't very detailed or helpful. But for now it will at least work.