My new PC build for Blue Iris. Hopefully, my final build!

Reaction score
My first dedicated Blue Iris PC was a eBay bought mid-tower Optiplex 9010 i7-4770 for $200. Served it's purpose for my initial 4x2MP Dahua cameras wonderfully. Somewhere along the line, I wanted to downsize the footprint of the PC. I went out and bought a USFF Optiplex for $200. Great for saving up real estate! However, no 3.5" bays for my 8TB Western Digital Purple hard drive. I sought NAS storage and that worked out great, or so I thought. With 15 Dahua IP camera's, the NAS certainly was a valid option but the network congestion (over 700 mp/s) was irritating slow on Blue Iris alert clips (sometimes, up to 30 seconds to populate the left hand listings). And being a i7-4770 4th gen intel cpu, could not do h.265. I should of built a PC from day 1 to save headaches. And, that is what I did on...day 365 :)
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K Desktop Processor 6 Cores up to 4.6 GHz Turbo unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W
motherboard: ASRock ATX Motherboard (Z390M PRO4) at $126. Had to go miniATX to fit into my rack mounted server case:
91ozsyHUygL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

iStarUSA Group 2U Compact Rackmount 2 X 5.25 (D-214-MATX) ... bought at local auction for $5 but usually you see these for $100 range:
41ys0f4D-uL._AC_.jpg
Thermaltake Smart 430W 80+ White Continuous Power ATX 12V for $38 (low wattage power supply is AOK since no graphics card):
71OVSW7QlbL._AC_AA360_.jpg
G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600 for dual memory optimization at $85 : (thanks to @bp2008 for this info)
61jrb3gMvxL._AC_AA360_.jpg
Noctua NH-L9x65, 65mm Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler for $50 (and a couple front case fans):
81OzpWhMNkL._AC_AA360_.jpg
Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD for $129 (not exactly highly rated as a Samsung EVO SSD but comes in $60 cheaper...will try it out):
71KM0L3nxBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

All cameras 2020-04-27 03.49.31.804 AM.jpg
-----------------------
Of course, my 8TB Western Digital Purple is now local instead of NAS.
All 15 camera's (some 2MP, some 4MP, some 8MP, 1 boobie camera) running continuously direct to disc using H.265. (or maybe I should say 16 camera's since boobie cam is double cam)
i5-9600k CPU sitting under 30%. The older i7-4770 clocked in around 45-50%.
Windows 10 Pro, Blue Iris database and alerts on the Silicon Power 1TB SSD C: (this may wear & tear on the SSD but that's ok for time being)
Stored clips goes to WD Purple.
Still have to mount the boobie camera at front door area. For right now to have a reference, plugged in and sitting in garage.
All fit happily in my server case in a wall mounted server cabinet.
I should of done this on day 1 :)
The last camera I may slap into my setup may be a future project of a LPR & lamp post combo.
All of this will help integrate Blue Iris to Home Assistant and DSC alarm panel Envisalink (that project should be up next).
Look at what this site has created :) And to think...I was 15 minutes away from going to Costco to buy a Defender NVR last year.....hmph.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
This looks awesome! I'm looking to build my first BI machine (also rack-mounted) and this is a huge help. How is it performing for you?

Reaction score
Flawlessly. Added #16 camera (weather 5442 camera). It only snaps a .jpg every 10 minutes instead of 27/7 continuous recording.
Do notice something about my hardware selection: I started as a reference a 2U rack mount server, not your standard 3U. So had to find compatibility between mother board, cpu, ram, and cpu cooler. Example: the G.Skill RAM could only work on certain motherboards due to the high speed.
Has been running for over 2 months. No issues. Glad I went this route. Was not too spendy if you consider the $$ you might of sunk into an eBay machine.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good on you!
There is something very satisfying when you build your own! I still get that rush when I'm finally finished with one and the machine actually posts and boots up. All magic!
Good luck with it!

jlppilot

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you still happy with it? If you were to build again today would you do the same? I’m thinking about buying or building something similar now.

if space weren’t a concern and you had not stumbled upon the $5 case would you have found a 3U?

Reaction score
Are you still happy with it? If you were to build again today would you do the same? I’m thinking about buying or building something similar now.

if space weren’t a concern and you had not stumbled upon the $5 case would you have found a 3U?
I am very happy with it. Would of gladly of paid full retail for the 2U server case. I had to manually drill holes above the CPU fan through the metal casing. Both the power supply and cpu fans both point upwards so that means I have to leave some space above the server case. If I had gone 3U server case, I still would of had to leave space above for fan airflow. And space/real estate in a wall mounted server cabinet is critical.
I originally had the server cabinet located in my 2 car garage wood working shop. However, found out was not the best location due to the high temps. There is no A/C control in the shop. So... I had to move all the Cat6 cabling (I think I'm upto 34'ish cables), server cabinet, and electronics to other side of wall inside main house where there is HVAC going on which happens to be my laundry room alcove. It sits above the dryer which is aok cause dead space. To save even more space, I did opt for a Monoprice High Density 1U 48 port patch panel instead of 2 separate 24 Port Patch Panels. Saved another 1U with it.
Now, if real estate space was not a concern, I would see no issue going for a standard 3U server case. Unsure if that would of lowered the total price tag as most server cases will required a Mini-ATX motherboard I think.

IMG_20200802_083113.jpg

Last edited:

jlppilot

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the description and pictures. I appreciate it.

Glad to hear it’s still working well for you!

Reaction score
hmm. should this forum posting be relocated over to "installation pics' subforum? I have some cleanup to do in the cabinet still to do. If future folk search for wall mounted network cabinet pro's & con's, unsure if they would find it here in the computer section or in installation section. Maybe I'll post pics over in installation pics and link to this forum post for details.

Reaction score
ASRock ATX Motherboard (Z390M PRO4) at $126
Intel CPU i5-9600k $192
iStarUSA Group 2U Compact Rackmount 2 X 5.25 (D-214-MATX) around $77 at NewEgg
Thermaltake Smart 430W 80+ White Continuous Power ATX 12V for $38
G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600 for dual memory optimization at $85
Noctua NH-L9x65, 65mm Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler for $50
Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD for $129
8TB Western Digital Purple $300 (I re-used mine from previous builds).
Windows 10 home $139 or Windows 10 Pro $199 (I migrated my Windows 10 Home from previous build that came from my i7-4770 ebay machine if you talk to microsoft tech support).
Had a spare USB mouse and dinky VGA 19" monitor laying around to use for troubleshooting though I do mostly go headless and use Remote Desktop Assistance from my Main PC. So figure in another $50 for these parts
Wall hanging network cabinet I gots for free (it was to be disposed of). If bought new...6U would be around $150, 12U around $300.
Total if bought brand new: $1000.
Intel i5-9600k $200
total of new is $1200.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m using that motherboard on mine with an i9-9900K. Been flawless for about a year now.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
just a fwiw comment. When shopping around for components you might find some real deals on the 'for sale or trade' forum on pcpartpicker.com. Occasionally there are freebies offered there - I gave away several stock cpu coolers I wasn't ever going to use. The diy'ers there are constantly moving into the latest & greatest versions of 'whatever' and they dump their old cpus, gpus, etc. Often times they are only 1 gen old - perfectly good 'stuff'.