My plan still has some holes in it *Image Heavy*

wewoapsiak

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking for some help with the planning of my camera setup. I have researched a bit, but I am still full of questions.

Purpose:
I work rotating shift work and my wife can get nervous on nights by herself, especially since one of the dogs loves to bark at ghosts. This will be a slow project I think, only one or two cameras at a time due to financial constraints. I would like to setup a camera network at home that would record events and trigger warnings if something abnormal pops up. If something were to trigger a camera, ease of quickly checking is a plus. We don’t travel much, but I would like to have some recording / remote viewing capability. I live in the middle of nowhere, one neighbor within 1000 is about it, so I fully expect deer / elk / or turkey to set off the cameras on the occasion. I have included a good many pictures of around my house, aerial photos, and edited blueprints in order to give you a better idea what I’m working with with more in loaded on full album. The one side of the house has windows >8’ so it isn’t an immediate concern. Front of the house is facing SE and gets a decent amount of sun.

Locations:
  • Camera 1 or 1A (Alternate) is to be looking down the driveway, which is the only real access to the house area unless someone treks through the woods. I understand that at location 1 the light would need be adjusted, and it can be tilted easily. This camera I want to use in order to get a good look at cars that come up the driveway, I don’t expect clearly see faces / license plates at the 81’ or 84’ mark but would like it at some point. Easy to install locations due to soffit access.

• Camera 2 is to catch the garage door area, cars / people coming and leaving. Entire concrete pad isn’t necessary but desirable.

• Camera 3 is the backyard camera. I would like it to encompass the kitchen windows.

• Camera 4, the front door camera is a pain to run wire to due to not having easy access to / though the vinyl overheard; I would have to figure out have to run wire to the camera. This camera would need to see faces as they come up the stairs / to the door.

• Camera 5 is another backyard camera that would encompass the living room window.

• Camera 6 would be much like camera 4, able to see faces as they come to the back door.

• Camera 7 is an indoor garage camera.
Order of importance in my mind is 1 (or 1A), 4, 6, 2, 3, 5, 7. All planned areas with the exception on #4 has easy soffit access from the attic.

Computer Stuff:
  • Already purchased a Dell Optiplex from the Dell Outlet, thanks for that Fenderman. Running Windows 10, Intel i7-4790, 8GB ram. Need to install a second hard drive since I’ve been using it as a PLEX server.

• Blue Iris seems to be the way to go software wise, any issues running this and PLEX on the same computer?

Thoughts on Cameras:
  • POE, maybe completely wireless for #4
  • Hikvision seem to be what I’m looking at, but open to others.
  • I like the idea of turrets, I am surrounded by spiders and other creepy crawlers who would love the IR illuminators.
  • PTZ is not really desired.

Big questions:

• Thoughts on POE switches, networking equipment, etc? Not sure what to buy.

• 2.8mm, 4mm, etc. No clue on what type of camera to get for each location. 2.8 or 4 seem to me like they would work for most locations, probably a buy one and try it type of deal. Maybe something more for #1.

• I would prefer to buy a product with a warranty, i.e. from a US supplier. I already mistakenly contacted Milkisbad, it seems he only deals with businesses and not home owners; I should have read his OP a little better before bugging him. It seems Nelly’s and Wrightwood is my biggest options, correct?

• I’m somewhat technically savy and can follow directions, this is new territory to me however. My eyes get big and I automatically want to go with 4MP over 3MP because it is another MP, who wouldn’t want that!? In all seriousness though, trying to pick 2mp, 3mp, between 4mp seems to be a crapshoot and up to how much $$ you have.

I appreciate any and all help, comments, links, PMS, etc. I am also looking at security systems as another project, but as a new homeowner the projects growing more quickly than the funds.

7jZPbq9.jpggYrBulC.jpgTC9W71g.jpguQyRYju.jpgW3I29Mu.jpgView attachment wHbojZd.jpgView attachment QRCNeuc.jpgView attachment MGPP11l.jpgView attachment WouNEVL.jpgView attachment 5KiKD9E.jpgView attachment OvvsoQA.jpgView attachment fDqj289.jpgView attachment t7GnZvo.jpgView attachment jQUXOaL.jpgView attachment N7e8iEK.jpgView attachment ZuVD62E.jpgView attachment 8H2HMe1.jpgView attachment nM8YQHy.jpgView attachment n7nQehi.jpgView attachment mkpxWUD.jpgView attachment KN1aTuq.jpgView attachment v7ko4ld.jpg

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My 10 pence (or cents to you) :)

Hik turrets are a fine choice, I have 1. No or very few spiders, bullet proof build and very neat to install. (IR is poor(ish) compared to the 2232

Use poe on all you cams. 1 cable and you're done.

Buy 2, 4 port POE switch (I use cheap TP Link unmanaged switches) and place them in appropriate places to split the install in half, it might make the cable routing easier. That will give 2 links to your router/server or whatever. Use a gigabyte network for the little extra it costs. OR, buy 1 used 8 port with a gigabyte uplink from a rack off eBay cheap.

Stick with USDM cams if you want hassle free, they are not that much more generally. But I have 3 Chinese cams that have been hassle free too

I have no experience with BI/PLEX on a PC but its very popular. NVR's are simple and cheap though and no need for POE switches with them

I have 2MP, 3MP and 4MP cams. I think (check this) you get a larger picture with the 4MP so more detail. BUT, me personally cannot see great leaps of IQ between my cheap IMPORX 1080p cams and my UKDM 4MP Hik cams

2.8mm cams porches etc, then work up from there. 4mm seem popular for general use. I would advise get 1 of each and play around with them both on long patch leads THEN decide on the other cams. You will certainly need both so they won't be wasted.

DONT discount 1 maybe 2 Ali Express Imporx mini PTZ's. They are great and makes setting up a breeze even if you never use the PTZ after....but you will.

I work in the electrical engineering game, not networking or the professional IPC business, the above is just what I have learnt by dicking around with cams and reading/learning over the past 6 months. (practical experience) So the Networking jockeys may have other ideas.

HTH!

Lee.