My thoughts on the Edge Vector algorithm (work in progress)

Reaction score
I'm going to try and keep this short. Just wanted to share my findings with fellow members who may be having difficulty with the edge vector algorithm. My system monitors my home. I normally use Gaussian for everything, and I feel the settings are dialed in pretty good. Just a couple trees that cause false alerts with shadows. I cloned the troublesome cameras. Testing different settings over the past few weeks I have concluded that only swapping gaussian to edge vector without changing anything else simply doesn't work. I was missing almost every person and car that would normally trigger. I read a post on the forum that mentioned to uncheck "cancel shadows". I started with that and it didn't work. Additionally, changing make time to 0.1 ~ 0.2 from 0.5 and lowering the contrast to no more than 17 (basically almost full sensitivity) seems to be the ticket. Now I hardly get any false alerts from the shadows of the trees and cars passing by, but get correct alerts in accordance with the zones I have set up.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Very interesting; I had given up on EV....but will try your settings and report back soon. Thanks!

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm going to try and keep this short. Just wanted to share my findings with fellow members who may be having difficulty with the edge vector algorithm. My system monitors my home. I normally use Gaussian for everything, and I feel the settings are dialed in pretty good. Just a couple trees that cause false alerts with shadows. I cloned the troublesome cameras. Testing different settings over the past few weeks I have concluded that only swapping gaussian to edge vector without changing anything else simply doesn't work. I was missing almost every person and car that would normally trigger. I read a post on the forum that mentioned to uncheck "cancel shadows". I started with that and it didn't work. Additionally, changing make time to 0.1 ~ 0.2 from 0.5 and lowering the contrast to no more than 17 (basically almost full sensitivity) seems to be the ticket. Now I hardly get any false alerts from the shadows of the trees and cars passing by, but get correct alerts in accordance with the zones I have set up.
So you have Gaussian on, cancel shadows on, Make time to 0.1 and contrast lowered to <17. Is that correct?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I find that edge vector doesn't work reliably with multiple zones (object crosses zones A-B). I have my driveway as zone A, and sidewalk/boulevard/road as zone B. As soon as I switched to edge vector, it stopped detecting people or cars coming onto my driveway, even with make times decreased, contrast set to min etc. I changed the object crosses zones to just A, so any vector movement on my driveway will trigger, and it works great now.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you have Gaussian on, cancel shadows on, Make time to 0.1 and contrast lowered to <17. Is that correct?
I think he's saying that in his troublesome areas (tree shadows, etc) with multiple zones, that he's successfully switched to EV, not gaussian.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I find that edge vector doesn't work reliably with multiple zones (object crosses zones A-B). I have my driveway as zone A, and sidewalk/boulevard/road as zone B. As soon as I switched to edge vector, it stopped detecting people or cars coming onto my driveway, even with make times decreased, contrast set to min etc. I changed the object crosses zones to just A, so any vector movement on my driveway will trigger, and it works great now.
So you kept zones A and B but set the rule to only trigger on A? Or did you get rid of zone B?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you use 'Object travels' or 'Reset detector when object size exceeds' for the troublesome areas--if so, does it affect EV reliability?

Reaction score
So you kept zones A and B but set the rule to only trigger on A? Or did you get rid of zone B?
Three zones A, B, G (filler zone). Motion trigger from zone B>A.

Do you use 'Object travels' or 'Reset detector when object size exceeds' for the troublesome areas--if so, does it affect EV reliability?
I use object travels as well as reset when object size exceeds xx. I also found it is necessary to increase the value of "object size exceeds" when used with "cancel shadows" unchecked. For instance, the mail person started tripping the maximum size for the motion box. The shadow of said mail carrier was now contributing to the overall object size. When compared to the Gaussian camera, the edge vector camera was resetting the detection and missing the alert.

Reaction score
Do you still have a B zone for tracking?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It would behave the same with zone B, but yes I got rid of zone B. I still have zone G covering everything, so motion is tracked when it's outside zone A.

I also had to get rid of 'object size exceeds' as it to doesn't work well with multiple zones and edge vector.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm trying these setting today. Make Time is .2 and Contrast is 17 with Edge Vector. Worked well until it rained this evening and I was getting a ton of alerts from the rain drops.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying these setting today. Make Time is .2 and Contrast is 17 with Edge Vector. Worked well until it rained this evening and I was getting a ton of alerts from the rain drops.
The solution to this is to turn off the IR in the camera, and use an auxiliary IR 3-4 away from the cam.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The solution to this is to turn off the IR in the camera, and use an auxiliary IR 3-4 away from the cam.
Hi @looney2ns... thanks for the reply. I have that setup on all but one camera. The camera that doesn't is at the end of my driveway on the back of a brick mailbox structure. My settings before I made the most recent change were the same except I was using .9 Make Time instead of .2. I might adjust it to .6 and see how that works out.