Mystery Password Demand

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I have pissed off my Blue Iris(?)
In an effort to get my remote monitoring back in order (I haven't actually viewed the system remotely in a very long time) I created a new OpenVPN config on my TPLink router just as before. I imported it to my phone and the desktop at work; both machines connect to the VPN and show minimal traffic. I have been unable to see my home network even though the OpenVPN is connecting.
While trying all the things, I opened a copy of BI on the work desktop, put in my BI license number and immediately broke the BI running on my home cam server. (natch)

So, at home I had to re-authorize BI and all seemed OK, but I realized that it's NOT running a s a service any more. I look into settings/startup and that box is not checked.
OK so I check that box and now BI needs my "Windows Admin login password (Blank if Local network)"
I don't actually HAVE a Win admin password, left intentionally blank.
I have tried all the passwords I use for other things, no password, admin, etc.
I'll reboot everything. Not sure were to go next...

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What version of Windows? My Win 8.1 machine requires the windows password before Bi will start up the console. I've never bothered to figure it out, it works, and it is a remote location. My Win 10 at home doesn't have that issue.

Try setting a Windows password, reboot, and see if that works.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Similar recent thread here. See end. Add a password to the Admin or whatever other account you're running under.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Was this a BI update change? I've been running it for over a year without a password and now I'm being forced to, not by Windows but by BI???

As I recall, the whole reason that I had to pay for the upgrade to Win Pro was specifically to have the no-password-startup agility(?)

I did add the password and now it's back running as a service... but I still don't like being forced to.
In addition to the BI I also have some older Yi wifi cams that are still working and I have one pointed at the BI monitor just for grins. During the long stretch that I have had no remote access working, I could always take a peek at it to see that the cams were operational and the BI time line was running along the bottom, just for peace of mind. Now I won't get that as the BI gui cant run without entering the stupid pw on the keyboard.
It doesn't feel like progress.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Once you set the service up with the password and have the second "Always run as Windows Admin..." checkbox marked, it shouldn't require a password when starting the GUI?

Mine doesn't. Don't recall setting anything else to do so.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, that didn't fix it on mine. It's OK in that the service is running... but I wish it would bypass the windows login for me to do anything local.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm... If I toggle that checkbox on/off, it goes back and forth between not requiring or requiring a password for the local_console account when launching the BI console. So that seems to be what controls it.

The overall Windows login I'm pretty sure that you can disable entirely even if there are passwords set for accounts. Search "bypass Windows 10 login" and should find how to do.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's not a Blue Iris login... It's a Windows thing that once I set an admin password, I MUST use that to get past Windows' own splash screen. It is as if it forgot that I upgraded to Pro.
But of course, it didn't.
Windows is currently trying to cram WIN11 down my gullet.... Dammit, why do they take such an adversarial Overlord approach to their customers?

I'm not gonna sweat the login just now as I'm about to upset a different, larger applecart.

This PC is two years old, and I've upgraded every other part of it... so in a few minutes I am swapping the mobo and processor from the current i3 8100 four-core to the i7 9700K eight-core and its mobo (I still can't figure out what is different with the mobo, but swapping to stay matched up.

The first mod of this machine was a 500GB SSD for 'C' along with 32GB of SDDR4 RAM, Dual NICS and a pair of purples in 8TB and 10TB. The last bottleneck is the i3. Hopefully I still be in business after this foray.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Slightly better cpu in and running (i7 9700k)
Still having camera connection issues (nothing to do with the cpu switch).
tomorrow I’ll dig into it further.