Naming Cams

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm taking over our camera system integration at our locations. I have 3 different locations to install 20+ cameras at in the near future. I worked on a install that had over 100 cameras recently but I came in at the tail end.
My question is... what's the best approach in camera naming? We use all HikVision cameras. So within that, you have the camera ID that is created by the NVR, you have the Camera Name which is manual input and also the OSD Name.

At our other locations, the administrator has been using Camera Name and OSD Name as the same. This can be a pain when it comes time to someone either moving the camera to a new location or mixing them up during the install as you have to connect to the same VLAN as the camera in order to change the Camera Name.

My thoughts is... Camera Name = IP Camera X where X = last octet of the camera IP. This way it'll always be the same and then when the OSD name needs changed, it can be changed within the NVR.

I'm curious how everyone else deals with this. Right now I am configuring cameras to ship to one location for the install.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"last octet " This old man learnt a new word today!
Though I cannot contribute much, I like using exactly that in the camera names of my home Blue Iris system.