Narrow Alleyway Camera

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently have a IPC-HDW5231R-Z which I wish to replace with a more suitable camera with the help of other forum users.
As per the picture, I know that I currently have the HDW5231 mounted too high and intend to mount its replacement lower but what Dahua camera would be best suited to this narrow alleyway?
It does get very dark at night and I would like to improve footage recorded and less of the walls.

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There are two ways to go about this. You can try to get a mount (i.e. PFB200W) and install the camera on this mount to see if it helps after playing with the focal length setting. Second option may be better where you buy a camera that offers more focal length, just be weary you will have to re-position the camera further out; but this will depend on what you're trying to capture within the frame.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might try corridor mode, not exactly sure how you do it tho.
Physically rotate the lens on the camera 90', then enable the option in the camera settings to rotate the image back 90' so that it's upright. This will result in a tall-and-skinny image (like the alley/cooridor itself) vs the camera's normal wide-and-shorter image.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great idea, will give it a go when I drop the height of the camera

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@aabs - curious why you even have a camera for this alley area?
What scenario are you trying to capture on video?
Are there any windows into the house in this area to be monitored?
If a perp is going to jump your fence (doesn't appear to be a gate) and then enter the backyard area, then that's where I'd have a camera(s) to monitor activity.
Same for the front area before getting to the fence.
Just some thoughts.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd drop that camera down to eye level if you want to see WHO traverses the alley.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@aabs - curious why you even have a camera for this alley area?
What scenario are you trying to capture on video?
Are there any windows into the house in this area to be monitored?
If a perp is going to jump your fence (doesn't appear to be a gate) and then enter the backyard area, then that's where I'd have a camera(s) to monitor activity.
Same for the front area before getting to the fence.
Just some thoughts.
Yeah it is a gate with a side window to my property.
Most common break in route in this neighbourhood as all the properties are the same

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@aabs - got it. You got some good advice on camera positioning. I've tried corridor mode on a 5442 turret and it works pretty well, best for a 6mm lens. When I tried it with a 3.6mm lens there was too much wide angle so the up/down area was pretty big, but still could work in some cases. Obviously test before mounting.
Good luck securing this area.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is my 5231 in corridor mode in a narrow path - it's on the PFB203W

Just drop the height and it works well.

I'll only replace this with a camera with motion activated PIR I reckon so it doubles up as a light.

For now I don't want to put a camera with always on light at night as the local cats use the side of the path as a toilet :(

Attachments

ukzmisr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi reverend thanks for putting up a photo. Any chance you can drop a photo of the same place at night please.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sure - I don't have any recent ones of people at night but here's one of the local cats coming in to take yet another crap in our backyard (this is zoomed in a bit more than the last one was).

This area is normally pitch black as no lighting at all.

Garden 2020-04-13 03.39.58.671.jpg

ukzmisr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi reverend thanks for putting up a photo . I have a similar situation to yours. Side alley way of house. No lighting . Shadows cast by other properties. Not the best in the daytime either. I was looking at fitting the camera on a gable wall, to avoid IR reflection or even reduce the gable wall in the image. To fit the camera on a wall bracket. Arm length I was looking at was about 155mm. Looking at a height of about 2.8metres from the ground.
Been advised to fit a dome camera. But read issues of problems with IR reflection on the lens and need of cleaning.
However the dome camera appears to have a better IR light appearance on the image. Maybe looking into Hikvision Colour Vue turret. Still not decided yet.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, dome reflection is something you need to strongly consider anytime you use a dome that is pointed towards something that can bounce a lot of the IR back at the dome, like the walls and sidewalk/gravel in @reverend's picture above.

The Hik ColorVue/Dahua 5442TM-AS-LED are both great cameras, but two things to consider are that they both use bright white LED lights at night instead of IR. This can make the cameras look like a bright patio light, IMO. Also, neither are varifocal so you won't be able to zoom in tight like @reverend did in his shot above.

One model you might want to consider is the Dahua 3241T, which is a varifocal turret similar to the 5231 but does a little better in low light (.002 lux minimum illumination vs the 5231's .006). It's almost like it's the S2 (series 2) version of the 5231, but looks like they gave it a different model number because it's in their Lite category of cameras now.

ukzmisr

n3wb
Reaction score
Aristrobat thanks for your comments. My setup will be Hikvision . Apart from the colourvue. Any suggestions from the Hikvision range for the alleyway. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@ukzmisr, I'm not familiar with Hikvision's line-up anymore. Might be worth doing a quick post in the Hikvision sub-forum here, there are some good folks there!

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Upadated pictures with camera now roatted 90 degree.
Not as low as i probably should be but lower than before.
Comparison picture also for those looking to twist camera 90 degree.

Attachments