NAS Hard Drive?

Mainsail

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My expensive surveillance hard drive died after only about two years so I need to replace it.

I never see surveillance hard drives on sale, but often see NAS drives on sale.

Both are designed to run 24/7 but I understand there are some other differences.

Is anyone running a NAS instead of surveillance drive?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can run any hard drive you like on your surveillance system the problem is most are not designed for constant 24/7 writes so their life will drastically decrease over a short spare of time. Surveillance hard drives have the firmware designed whereby they are expected to write constantly thus reduce failure rate over a period of time plus some other video magic in the firmware. A NAS hard drive is expected not to write as often yet read many times thus the firmware and the other magic inside acts accordingly.

I don't know your budget or size requirements but $128 isn't breaking the bank
For what its worth I have come across people running WD black and green in NVR's without issue and the same in NAS systems I guess its just luck or they are happy to replace one if it goes down in 1 year and they are running some raid setup so they can afford one drive loss for a day or two! Fingers crossed another doesn't go ;)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I've run WD red and white enterprise drives that I shucked from their externals for years with no problems. Once you get into the higher-range drives the performance and MTBF rates all are very good so don't think failure from use is much of a concern. The purple drives are better optimized for video/AI in various ways.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I run WD Purples for BI and run WD Reds in my NAS. My reds are now over 6 years old and have not given me a bit of problems. My WD Purples are 3 years old and so far, so good. Each color is designed for a different application. I don't know how long a Red would work with BI?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’ve got 6 11 year old seagate barracudas in my nas raid array and of the few thousand dahua and FLIR units I’ve installed over the last 10 years I’ve only had to warranty 3 drives. And that’s me giving them 2-3 year warranties.

Mainsail

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can run any hard drive you like on your surveillance system the problem is most are not designed for constant 24/7 writes so their life will drastically decrease over a short spare of time. Surveillance hard drives have the firmware designed whereby they are expected to write constantly thus reduce failure rate over a period of time plus some other video magic in the firmware. A NAS hard drive is expected not to write as often yet read many times thus the firmware and the other magic inside acts accordingly.

I don't know your budget or size requirements but $128 isn't breaking the bank
For what its worth I have come across people running WD black and green in NVR's without issue and the same in NAS systems I guess its just luck or they are happy to replace one if it goes down in 1 year and they are running some raid setup so they can afford one drive loss for a day or two! Fingers crossed another doesn't go ;)
Good find! I was on Newegg but they never seem to put them on sale. Thanks!

The one that died so young in life is a WD 8TB WD82PURZ that wasn't cheap. The platters are spinning but it's not reading/writing anymore.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

5400 rpm version....7200 version you have is hi perf....bit noisy in the house, but not too bad. maybe the slower spinner will last you longer....

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Don't buy WD blue. if you buy WD red go 8TB or higher to avoid SMR drive. Use CMR drive for surveillance.
That is what the purple drives are.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is contact the manufacture for a warranty replacement if within time and you have no sensitive video stored on the drive. For most applications any drive will be fine but use an SSD for windows, blueiris and the database. I have a bunch of systems storing video in the OEM hard drive for many years now (5-10). My oldest drive in use is this one Amazon tells me it was ordered more than 10 years ago in 2012....