NAS set as Redundant HDD - what else must I do?

harleyfart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I came to this forum back a few months ago, looking for a way to record simultaneously to 2 separate targets. I could not figure out how to make NAS communicate with my DVR because Hikvision doco is sadly lacking and I know absolutely nothing about this game.

Well, I managed to get the DVR and NAS talking, wherein I configured the NAS as a Redundant HDD, hoping that it would mirror the HDDs in the DVR. I hope that was not an incorrect assumption. Please advise if it is.

Now, I’m wondering if, and, how to get the video to write to the ‘redundant’ target. I’ve specified who can access the share, as well as set permissions. Both devices talk, in that remote storage “HDD” was actually ‘initiated’ successfully from Hikvision software console.

Sys config shows 3 active HDDs in HDD Group 1. The DVR manual states that a total of 8 ‘network’ HDDs can be utilized. I am not running a 'Quota' designation.

Firmware v2.2.8 build 130902

Encoding v5.0 build 130729

Do I need to yank the internal HDDs to get the NAS working? I ask because my objective is to have all video in a secure location, in the event that the DVR is stolen during a break-in/burglary. Moving the DVR is out of the question since coax already run - not interested in incurring cost and hassle. Just trying to implement an ounce of prevention before I need the pound of 'cure', with current situation and available resources.

If anyone has any ideas, please advise. I’m not seeing anything recorded to the NAS. Your input is greatly appreciated and sincerely encouraged.

Current Config: Hikvision DVR model: DS-7216HWI-SH w/2-2TB HDDs internal & 1-QNAP 469 Pro NAS w/3.9TB allocated NAS storage [of 8TB on RAID 5] array, using NFS protocol.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: