Near Miss!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just back from taking our male cat to the Vet Hospital (prayers welcomed, he's not good) and damn near got crunched by a garbage truck pulling back into our street.

Granted, I was moving along, but I really thought he saw me and was slowing down to stop, Maybe as much my fault as his?
You can see me jinking wider to give him some room but I was kinda committed at that point and saw oncoming traffic including an 18 wheeler heading my way so stopping abruptly in the traffic lane woulda been bad. I was seriously waiting to hear/feel the crunch and had to clean my underwear when I got to the house.

View attachment HOA Entr_ch4_20211227085902_20211227085923.mp4

Last edited:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Prayers for your cat. The garbage truck, as @Captain_B said, was in the process of running that stop sign to beat the 18 wheeler coming, and your turn messed up his illegal plans. You were already in the turn lane, before he showed up, and it appears your blinker was on. Cleaning your undies is all you have to worry about, and you should send them the bill (and dirty undies) for that!! Good defensive driving!!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Hope the kitty recovers soon.

The recycling truck seems to be in a big rush from the videos. Definitely ran the stop sign and should be ticketed for that. Maybe send the Department of Public Works Administrator an AVI copy of the first video, although I'd hate to see the guy fired, but a good dressing down might help.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Prayers for your cat, Truck driver is at fault for not stopping at the stop sign and not checking or paying attention as You clearly had right of way to turn and you were in the turning lane. If he was paying attention he would have known you are going to make that turn. Truck driver had almost 4-5 sec before the truck driver slammed on his brakes possibly distracted by something while driving.

Also glad you were in a SUV with much higher ground clearance, if it was a car than might have had curb rash or under shield of the car scraped... Also doesn't seem like it hoping there is no sprinklers to replace there.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Prayers for your cat.

How could any attentive driver not see you turning! in the CDS clip you can see him sitting in the right hand seat. I wonder if that changes his view pattern when he ran the stop sign - which is a stupid move in a big vehicle like his.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Update: The cat’s spending the night at the vet hospital. Not sure yet what’s wrong. He’s 9 going on 30 as he’s used quite a few of his cat lives. My daughter named him Baby which I’m sure if he could talk he resents , as he was the runt of a feral litter in our backyard but grew up to be the dominant alpha male. He's been a good protector of his sister and niece and loves to snuggle up to you in bed. My little buddy.