Need a computer system to run BI and 4 HikVision Cameras at a campground

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

We have a permanent site at a local campground. I will be installinga few HikVision cameras for security so I’m looking to either buy or build acomputer to run Blue Iris software. I will have a total of 4 cameras, 3 outdoorand one indoor. Can someone help me with the motherboard and CPU selection Iwould need for this? I’ve built computers before so I’m capable of building onebut if buying one from Dell or wherever is cheaper, that’s fine.

I understand from researching this forum a Gen 4 I7 would bea good choice but a Gen 4 I5 may work as well since I only have 4 cameras. I don’twant to spend a fortune on this system.

This computer system would be connected to a router.

Also, is a computer a better choice over an NVR for what I’mtrying to do?

I would like to record and view the cameras from a webbrowser and a phone.

Here are the cameras I have so far.

(2) Hikvision DS-2CD2032F-IW

(1) Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW

I also have (2) Swann NVK-460 (indoor) cameras that I wouldlike to use but not sure if it’s possible. I have the NVR that came with the packageas well but wanted all the cameras on the BI if possible.

I was planning to head to Micro Center this afternoon sohopefully buy them I’ll have a few suggestions.

Thanks

geezernerd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i5 processor is all you need.

I'm currently running 3 x Hikvison 2CD2632F-IS 3MP cams & 1 x Hikvision 2CD2332 3MP cam with all cameras recording 24/7 Direct to disk with the FPS set a 10 and the CPU usage sits on 20-21%. Initially I had the 3 x 2CD2632F-IS cams setup with the FPS set at 30, which would have the CPU sitting on about 33-34%.. I ordered another 4 x 2CD2332 camera's today :)

The specs of my pc are:

i5 3570K processor (3rd Gen)
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
16Gb DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650Ti graphics card
Blue Iris v4

Windows is running off a Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD and the CCTV footage is stored on a 2GB WD Green HD (which gave 1 month's worth of recordings for 3 camera's).....soon to be updated to a 8TB

Also as this PC is my main desktop PC it also has MS Outlook open and running 24/7 and occasionally Windows Media Center.

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i5 processor is all you need.

I'm currently running 3 x Hikvison 2CD2632F-IS 3MP cams & 1 x Hikvision 2CD2332 3MP cam with all cameras recording 24/7 Direct to disk with the FPS set a 10 and the CPU usage sits on 20-21%. Initially I had the 3 x 2CD2632F-IS cams setup with the FPS set at 30, which would have the CPU sitting on about 33-34%.. I ordered another 4 x 2CD2332 camera's today :)

The specs of my pc are:

i5 3570K processor (3rd Gen)
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
16Gb DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650Ti graphics card
Blue Iris v4

Windows is running off a Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD and the CCTV footage is stored on a 2GB WD Green HD (which gave 1 month's worth of recordings for 3 camera's).....soon to be updated to a 8TB

Also as this PC is my main desktop PC it also has MS Outlook open and running 24/7 and occasionally Windows Media Center.
That's good to hear. I just bought this machine last evening. I looked at the specs and cost and determined I couldn't build a system for that money. I plan to add another 8GB of ram to it. Will the integrated graphics be suitable or will I need a dedicated card? I thought I read on here the graphics wasn't a big concern with the cameras but could be mistaken.

This machine will sit in a corner of the camper and be used only for the BI software and cameras. I'll probably have it connected to a UPS as well.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/949691/Dell-Inspiron-3000-Desktop-Computer-With/

geezernerd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apparently the integrated graphics is fine. I had the graphics card prior to getting the IP cams.

The specs of the processor in the Dell PC are on par with the CPU I have according to this, so you won't have any problems - http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2230&cmp[]=828 - I can't get this link to work, but if you highlight the full address and paste it into your browser it works.

Also I was using a D-Link DGS-1008P 8 port switch (4 POE ports) but upgraded to the D-Link DGS-1210P with 10x POE ports and 2x SFP ports

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well to be fair you could have gotten an equivalent refurbished system for $100-$150 less (the price you paid is more suitable for an i7 refurbished system). Anyway that system should work very well for you. Integrated graphics are more than enough. A graphics card would only suck more power and not improve performance.

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well to be fair you could have gotten an equivalent refurbished system for $100-$150 less (the price you paid is more suitable for an i7 refurbished system). Anyway that system should work very well for you. Integrated graphics are more than enough. A graphics card would only suck more power and not improve performance.

Ha! Just my luck. I assume you are referring to the Dell outlet ones? I thought I had looked there and the prices were higher. I need another machine for the house so maybe I can locate a refurb I7 machine for that project.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, dell outlet machines. They go on sale all the time (check the dell outlet twitter page) and sometimes can be had for $300-$350 for an i5 or $430-$500 for an i7. The Optiplex machines from the business outlet are the best, and usually have 3 year warranties.

You can also check ebay for HP or dell refurbished systems. I notice in particular there are usually some good deals on refurbished HP systems with 3rd or 4th generation i5 CPUs. Beware though, you will also find older generations of i5/i7 on ebay at lower prices, but they are less efficient so I would skip them.

actruck

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. Will check them out for the house project.