Need a good Small PTZ, any ideas?

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently have the Hik DS-2DE4A225IW-DE (The 2MP one) and Ive had it for a couple of years. Love the fact that I can discreetly mount it under the soffit of my house so it doesn't stand out too much. But I will be honest, aside from the great resolution, clarity at night and awesome 25x zoom, this thing stinks. If I'm on the controller live, it works like a champ, but I haven't once been able to ever program it to ever follow or track anything correctly on its own, and from what I read on here, it looks like its an issue all over. I do have it swinging left or right from trigger alerts on the additional cams but it wont grab and track, nor will it accurately follow at times.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much for a residential application. My issue is that I am the house in the middle of the block, 3 houses left, 1 house right and its super quiet so I don't have need yet for license plate cams, but when the door pullers/mail thieves come around, its usually walking in the dead of night and my other cams will grab and detect it, but they are worthless for a good shot as the street is 75 feet away from the house (where cams are) and up the street where they would come in, would be at least 100ft. And at the moment, I cant put cams out at the street, as I have nothing out there but a mailbox and it would attract too much attention.

The PTZ just sits there, in one spot parked, viewing my driveway (as the view is small), I could do a patrol back and forth, but no tracking would work. If it triggers from a left or right cam, it swings that way, but no tracking. So I never get good footage unless Im awake and on the controller live.

Am I asking too much in a residential application? Is it the fact that Im in the middle and not one way in or out? Not sure at this point

Any recommendations on something different as I think Im done with this PTZ at the moment. Im using a Hik NVR so Im fine with Dahua as well, but I hear sometimes even with ONVIF, some functions may not work which would defeat the purpose. Maybe its time for Blue Iris?

Thanks in advance!