Need Advice - Luma VS Hikvision or Amcrest

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So - I’d love some input/advice from the experts here. In my current home, I have a surveillance system from Snap A/V. I have analog dome cameras and they’ve been great, but I don’t love the domes as they get dirty and I get some IR glare.

I’m building a new home, and I had just planned on doing the Luma stuff from Snap A/V again, however doing IP this time (and likely turrets). I have 2 questions. 1 - The Amcrest and Hikvision stuff seems to be about 1/4 the price of the Snap stuff but the specs are the same. Am I going to be disappointed with Hikvision turrets as opposed to the Snap ones? I already have a PoE switch with enough available ports, so if I got that route I would just get the Hikvision or Amcrest NVR as well..I’d literally save thousands going this route and it has me thinking there must be some comramises. 2 - Any particular reason to choose bullets vs domes vs turrets? I’m leaning towards turrets right now. All of the cameras will be outside, but most of them will be mostly protected by eaves/soffit. That said, we do get snow and rain combined with wind so they will get wet. Audio is a plus but not a requirement.

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the long post.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Luma / Snap A/V is a Hikvision re-brand as Amcrest is a Dahua re-brand and you're paying a higher price for that, especially with the Luma, somewhat with the Amcrest.

If you don't like your domes, you will REALLY not like bullets because of spiders and their webs...I'd go with turret style.

I'd suggest Dahua 2MP "Starlight" turrets or Hikvision 2MP "Darkfighter" turrets.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

If you haven't already done so, please read the Cliff Notes in the Wiki at the top of the page.

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you - I’ll keep that in mind. I’m not real worried about someone messing with the camera, but I understand your point. I also plan to stick with 1 brand - just tryin to decide what’s best.

One consideration - although the house is largely white, the roof as well as soffit and fascia (where the cameras will be mounted) is a very very dark color - nearly black. I have dark soffit on my house now and have black cameras. I’m off to google images, but do people try to match the color of the camera with the color of the soffit? It doesn’t look like the Hikvision cameras are available in any color other than white.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you - I’ll keep that in mind. I’m not real worried about someone messing with the camera, but I understand your point. I also plan to stick with 1 brand - just tryin to decide what’s best.

One consideration - although the house is largely white, the roof as well as soffit and fascia (where the cameras will be mounted) is a very very dark color - nearly black. I have dark soffit on my house now and have black cameras. I’m off to google images, but do people try to match the color of the camera with the color of the soffit? It doesn’t look like the Hikvision cameras are available in any color other than white.
Dahua makes some in black, otherwise, paint is your friend. Please study the Cliff notes.