Need advice on New IP Cam set-up (particularly NVR)

AJbest

n3wb
Reaction score
It's because you are shopping for Cat6A. Is there a reason you need Cat6A vs regular Cat6?
Honestly, I am just trying to get the best possible cable and may have runs of more than 50 meters. I am installing this mainly for my IP cams, but also for a projector and computers. I figure if I do this right, less chance of re-doing it - who knows what we will have in 5 years.

This said, Cat 6 is more than enough now. I am just overwhelmed at the STP cable and needing to earth ground every single camera. This just seems overkill to me and I would need to do this myself and my time is really valuable to me now. The installer I am working with says he almost never uses STP ethernet cable and has never had any problems. He said if anything gets fried or if I have any problems, he will re-install for free. He says he will install the STP, just thinks I do not needed it (that my house is fairly new and most lightning would go through the electrical system in the house which is already grounded). I would be the one doing all the grounding which seems complicated and like there is no one right method to do things. I can use surge protectors at the POE switch and NVR but seems like an ordeal to earth ground every single IP camera - it costs about $40 bucks + time to do this all for a $120 camera.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This said, Cat 6 is more than enough now. I am just overwhelmed at the STP cable and needing to earth ground every single camera. This just seems overkill to me and I would need to do this myself and my time is really valuable to me now. ..... I can use surge protectors at the POE switch and NVR but seems like an ordeal to earth ground every single IP camera - it costs about $40 bucks + time to do this all for a $120 camera.
Understandble. At the very least, I would install a Ubiquiti Networks ETH-SP Poe External Surge Suppressor between the POE switch and the NVR and ground the ETH-SP properly.

He said if anything gets fried or if I have any problems, he will re-install for free.
I'd ask for that in writing. If GA is anything like AL (and it is), it's not a question of IF something will get baked by lightning, it's WHEN.

He says ......most lightning would go through the electrical system in the house which is already grounded.
He is VERY mistaken about that.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

AJbest

n3wb
Reaction score
Understandble. At the very least, I would install a Ubiquiti Networks ETH-SP Poe External Surge Suppressor between the POE switch and the NVR and ground the ETH-SP properly.

I'd ask for that in writing. If GA is anything like AL (and it is), it's not a question of IF something will get baked by lightning, it's WHEN.

He is VERY mistaken about that.
I think getting a camera baked is a real thing for sure - I have had a Hikvision cam and ethernet cable go bad - not sure if it was due to lighting but possibly. My only gripe is monoprice does not have Cat 6a STP so I would then need to use Cat 6 STP and buy by own shielded RJ45 plugs and keystones. If doing this, would this be the way to go?

Note: this is just for the main install - I will need to go back and include the surge protectors and properly ground one end of the cable. I assume that if I properly earth ground the POE switch this is all the grounding I need to do (other than ensure the metal drain is securely touching the RJ45 plug)?

Or, just go UTP riser rated and use surge protectors at the critical points?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or, just go UTP riser rated and use surge protectors at the critical points?
Yes, at the very least.
Also, my PC is on an APC battery backup and there's a Ubiquiti ETH-SP protector on the Ethernet before it comes into my PC.

AJbest

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, at the very least.
Also, my PC is on an APC battery backup and there's a Ubiquiti ETH-SP protector on the Ethernet before it comes into my PC.
How/what do you ground your ETH-SP protectors to?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How/what do you ground your ETH-SP protectors to?
I ran the ETH-SP's grounding lug to the green screw (ground) on a NEMA 5-15P (male plug) with a #12 stranded copper, type THHN green insulation conductor and plugged it into a grounded outlet labeled 'surge' on my UPS near the PC. The grounding conductor to the 5-15P is very short, about 2 feet long.
EDIT: Harbor Freight has for $3, ==>> here.
HF_NEMA_5-15P.jpg

Last edited: