Need advice on new system for Church

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,
Helping out a church to decide on the system they want to install on the old church , and point to parts of the parking lot, main gate, also pointing to the new church construction that will start soon, side of the old church and the rear of the old church.
Church is on a big lot, so need some good advice on what cameras will be better for this project.
I am thinking to look at Dahua Starling Ip Cameras.

Cam 1:
>Pointing to the new church construction that will begin soon, and was thinking because it is a 260ft to use a
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E (5.3mm-64mm, 12x, 200m=650ft)

Cam 2:
>Pointing to left side of the church and is about 80-100ft. Did not decide yet on what model cam will work better.

Cam 3:
>Pointing to the main gate, this will be good to read plates too...
Mostly thinking that the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E will do the job, gate is at about 240ft.

Cam 4:
>Pointing to record the parking lot where cars park, and the distance is about 200ft.
Thinking about also the IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E maybe good for this area.

Cam 5:
>Pointing at right of the church, and about 160ft to cover ( 2.8 mm?, or varifocal?..)

Cam 6:
>Pointing at the rear of church to cover some area in the rear and some doors
Not decided what cams will work yet. (around 80-100ft, but maybe 2.8?, varifocal..)

Cam 7:
>Pointing at the rear of the church. Same as Cam 6, very much, same distance and covering

Some hand design of the coverage:

Cam positions:

Cam Mask w/color:

Now , regarding the recording, they want something simple to work with, and the only think i am thinking is a Dahua Nvr , maybe a 8/16 channel ?! A model that you recommend? easy to work with. , Also we maybe attach an external hard drive for more room for recording files.

They where thinking about getting a Lorex 4k system from Costco with around $800-1000 , but from the church to the street and main gate and to cover the new construction , is about 270-300 ft. and those Lorex i don't think will cut it.

They did not give a budget $$ yet, but this will be around $1500 to 2000 for sure just to buy the cameras and the nvr, As for me i am just helping a church for free. They have an electrician that will pull all wires, as it will be a wired system.

Anyway, will appreciate any advice regarding what cameras i may need for whatever specific location, when it comes to ir meter, lens, zoom,etc.

Thank you for advice on this.
P.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess just to cover those areas. (last picture posted, and the top once kind what i need to area i need to cover)
And because the lot is so big, is just hard to choose the cameras.
Wanted to advice some , or at least 3 IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E for the front, and some others for the side,rear.
Is just to much to cover, even will not all lot be covered.
Thank you for any advice,

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you are covering a close up area, 2.8mm lens outdoors are useless...
I would not say useless...they may be good for a broad overview of general movement which at takes place within the field of view. But LPR?...Facial recognition?...Evidentiary video? Not a chance in Hell.

No camera system is going to prevent an active shooter from killing church-goers; the only thing which will stop such horror is to put the church inside a prison yard, control access, search all entrants and post armed guards. Cameras are simply not going to deter a mentally ill/deranged active shooter who is ready to die and take civilians with him.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If someone is actively monitoring the cams live, then they can be helpful in prevention. Churches have to realize they are setting ducks and act accordingly.
I know a couple of churches locally that have discreetly armed Greeters at the doors and also in the entry hallways. They have also been given training to assess everyone passing by.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, i have been playing with calculator at the
IPVM Camera Calculator V3
website again, i kind decided, to go with:

Cam2
IPC-HDW4231EM-AS Eyeball
But have to decide between the 3.6mm or 2.8mm , but maybe just go with the 3.6mm.

Cam3
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E Bullet
To record the main gate , who is coming in and who is driving in and out, and record those plates.

Cam5,6,7
IPC-HFW5231E-Z Bullet
Need 3.6mm and the cam is varifocal 2.7mm to 12mm

I have not decide on the Cam 1 and 4 yet,as looks that is so much to cover,and based on the above calculator and the area to cover , i can't decide
what camera is better.
Cam 1 will be pointed to new church construction.
Cam 4 will be pointing to the parking lot.
If i go with 2.8mm lens and the 260ft need it for cam1 , this just not working to get clear view and coverage,
Same goes for Cam 4, need to cover wide area and 200ft away,and 2.8 mm will not cut it.

They decided to add some security surveillance system due to the new church to be build.

Thank you.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Last edited:

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For Cam 1 and 4 i think , it may do it if , two cam's IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 will be installed for Cam 1 , next to each other and Same for Cam4, to cover better.
Or just get 2 PTZ's if that's better.

Now if need 9 cam's then need a 16 channel Nvr too...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....I know a couple of churches locally that have discreetly armed Greeters at the doors and also in the entry hallways. They have also been given training to assess everyone passing by.
Just tell them not to pick "the big guys" for "the security team"...and not to station all of them at the front door...because any active shooter with half a brain would shoot the big guys at the front door first.

No brother...the only thing that's going to save the American churchgoer is...Jesus.