Need Advise On Powering 2 Cameras

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have a CAT 6 cable running through my attic to my unfinished garage and to an exterior camera on the side of my garage. It is being supplied with 15.4 W with my Ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8 60W (US-8-60W). I would like at add a hikivison cube cam in my garage.

I am trying to figure out the best approach to powering both cameras with this CAT 6 cable. I suppose the correct way would be to move the CAT 6 cable to the un-powered port of my switch and cut the cable in the garage, buy a new POE switch for the garage and tie it all together that way.

I do have a spare 15 watt POE Injector wall wart plug. Is there any way to keep the CAT 6 cable powered by the 15.4 W UniFi switch, and split the cable in the garage, get a normal unpowered switch, run a new cable to the cube can and still have enough power for both cameras, with or without using the injector plug?

Granted buying a new POE switch isn’t the end of the world by any means but if I can use already acquired parts, that’s even better.

gregorio

n3wb
Reaction score
If you cannot run another cable, cutting it and putting the US-8-60 in the garage is what I would do. I would then use that as an excuse to get a bigger switch for inside the house!

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Technically I could run a second cable through the attic but I would have to wait a few months. The attic is likely averaging 110 degrees these days and I don’t suspect I would make it.

I do like the idea of a bigger better POE switch for inside... although I would also like to upgrade my hard drive to something with a few more TBs of storage. 3 TB is just not cutting it.