Need auto tracking camera ptz

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One of my clients has had a theft from parking lot three nights in row and is hitting different areas.

Any Dahua cameras that do auto tracking with the nvr that's not through blue iris?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is that the black face dahua?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no its the next step up, Ultra-Smart line.. they get wiper blades and faster cpu's for more image processing features (Tripwire, Cross Warning Zone, Perimeter Protection, Loitering Detection, Abandoned Object Detection, Missing Object Detection, Illegal Parking, Fast Moving, etc.)... it runs about 2x the cost of the Eco-Savvy PTZ's (which is still a great deal given additional features)

full line: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products_category/ultra-smart-series-305.html
camera shown above: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd6aw220230--hni-645.html

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If anyone is serious about purchasing this ptz and the one with the windshield wiper, send me a PM. And it's less than 2K like security camera king is selling a lesser model for.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You take american express? Only thing I worry about is a warranty being good in a year from now

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would take paypal, and if the camera fails, it would take a bit of time, but I would have a one year warranty. That is what is given to me, so that would be given to anyone.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pm me a price and I'll shoot it over to the guy. I may just get another ptz and put the black face one up. I have a very large parking lot to cover on the other end of a hotel with about 20 suites on each floor so it's a long property. Need more coverage and more zoom than 12x that I have now. How well does that auto tracking really work?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
autotracking struggles when you have multiple targets, how is it supposed to choose the higher priority target? What if something really important is happening out of view? It would do allright with a regular stream of predictable activity but would go insane at checkout time when there is a rush of activity all over.

might checkout this thread I got auto-tracking like features using a motion sensor and a magnetic contact switch: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?790-Outdoor-Motion-Sensor

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems that dahua's new tracker is really great- smooth intelligent tracking. I was pretty blown away by the menu for it. However, you can see in vec's clip that it locks onto a target so well that it may ignore anything else that may actually be more important at the time. For instance, it locks onto tracking a vehicle through a parking lot but it's not the vehicle being stolen at the time. Lost opportunity, considering well placed and calculated fixed cameras wouldn't miss a thing. I love dahua ptz's and this tracker is damn sweet. But you really have to balance that out with realistic expectations for every single second of video evidence gathering. There is nothing more frustrating than farming out critical evidence only to see you missed it- not just because the resolution detail wasn't good, but because the freakin camera coverage wasn't there at all. PTZ's can be their own worst enemy. In crtical coverage situations, a ptz, or even better such as a tracking ptz, is always best used as support for fixed camera full coverage. That truly gives you the best odds at not missing the gotcha.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
agreed; my PTZ alone was okay, but it was missing alot of awareness.. with the additional support from some wide angle fixed views in overlapping territory the PTZ is now great.. I have someone viewing the cameras most of the time; the PTZ lets me and my wife whom both work from home check on things, watch kids, etc while were at our desks, but the fixed cameras are watching the PTZs back so to speak.. when the PTZ is not being directly used its basically a fixed camera with a few sensors to help it keep an eye on a few areas out of frame that have very little normal activity...

now if I see someone walking down the street and I want a good zoomed in shot I can be prepared before they come into view because my other cameras are watching them approach the ptz, before I would be fumbling with controls to get a good image before they got too far away and left my view entirely.

For a hotel a PTZ would complement if you need to watch a room, suspicious person, vehicle, etc a little more closely than your fixed cameras can provide, otherwords go on a tour of choke points in hopes of catching good angles of patrons, maby a driveway sensor for late checkins.... all by its self its usefulness would be severely limited.. you'll get alot more milage out of a bunch of fixed cameras on a big display for the night attendant to keep an eye on things from the safety of inside.. PTZ will let em get better video evidence while waiting on the cops to check out someone poking arround in parking lot at 3am

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My customer the other day where I installed the black face ptz has two fixed cameras in his backyard. He asks me where I'm going to install the ptz and tells me to just replace one of the fixed cameras with it. I told him, are you crazy? Keep those fixed cameras because they cover the whole backyard, the ptz will not be covering the entire backyard the entire time. He agreed with me so we left the fixed cameras and installed the ptz as high up as possible. I agree with everyone, full coverage fixed cameras and a ptz zooming in for detail is the way to go. For some it's just a toy, but if you have the ptz in tour mode and zoom into specific areas, it may just catch some good detail that the fixed cameras were not able to catch. This weekend, I'm going to a house and he's getting two ptz's in the front of his house, one in the rear of his house, and fixed cameras all over. This guy is insane! LOL

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
We recently installed one of Dahuas new auto tracking PTZs out front of the store. It isn't one of the beast mode versions like the video above however it did perform decently, even with more than one object in the view. I never got to tinker with the interface or do the initial setup so I don't truly know what it is capable of until I can get some time to play with it.

lol @ >Support Wipe :smile1:

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It seems that dahua's new tracker is really great- smooth intelligent tracking. I was pretty blown away by the menu for it. However, you can see in vec's clip that it locks onto a target so well that it may ignore anything else that may actually be more important at the time. For instance, it locks onto tracking a vehicle through a parking lot but it's not the vehicle being stolen at the time. Lost opportunity, considering well placed and calculated fixed cameras wouldn't miss a thing. I love dahua ptz's and this tracker is damn sweet. But you really have to balance that out with realistic expectations for every single second of video evidence gathering. There is nothing more frustrating than farming out critical evidence only to see you missed it- not just because the resolution detail wasn't good, but because the freakin camera coverage wasn't there at all. PTZ's can be their own worst enemy. In crtical coverage situations, a ptz, or even better such as a tracking ptz, is always best used as support for fixed camera full coverage. That truly gives you the best odds at not missing the gotcha.
This is why you need two of them communicating with one another so that they are not tracking the same target. :cool: BTW, I have no idea if any such cameras exist to do that or not, and it sounds expensive in any case.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a lot of ways you can make a ptz work well for you, even without tracking. But nothing beats someone actually there monitoring and moving the ptz themselves. Human brains trump all software, lol. In the right situations, it's worth training personnel how to use the ptz. It's also worth it to just practice yourself, frequently. The better you are with handling it, the better you'll be tracking something in a serious situation.