need camera advise

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a hikvision system, and 8 camera's attached.
colorvu, tiny cams, domes, etc.
I have one DS-2CD4526FWD-IZ zoom dome wich i have pointed on a corner of the street in order to recognise people, cars, etcetera in case of an event happened.
Now, yesterday, i had 4 ppl on 2 scooters, with were walking into frontyards, taking pictures of the house interiors of several residents.

It was dark (i have adequate street ligts here) but i couldnt recognise the licence plates due the high brightness of the licence plate lights.

Which camera do you advise to have a razor sharp image, during these events? late night, adequate lightning (colorvue gives a slight noisy but color image) but immune to sudden bright lights?

Also, i recognise one of the guys because i know him.
Otherwise it would be too unsharp to recognise.
attached aimage of the colorvu.

Any tips or advises on how to adjust settings for better quality?

ps. my current setup has the intention of 1 cam for overview (colorvu) and one zoomed cam for detail. I would like to add license plate recognition and face detection as well.
When this guy comes by in daylight, hes clearly visible and can be recognised. When he comes by during the night, chances are likely he would be matched, correct?

The 3 smaller cams in the front yard are IPCT-HDBW4432F-IS (from Andy, just like the colorvu)

thanks all.colorvu-scooter1.jpg

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
LPR

I'm sure that there's an equivalent from Hikvision to the Dahua camera link.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding a camera for plates (LPR) - keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH:

1607010182386.png