need cheap wireless camera

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need a cheap wireless camera for temporary use. I got several armadillos working my yard that I need to get a migration path on. It needs to be one that can be recognized by Blue Iris. Any suggestions?

I have no idea what the wireless range on these things are but assume I could use a wireless extender to help??

This is NOT to be added to my Hikvision camera server on a permanent basis, so quality is not that important.

Last edited:

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No suggestions?? OK, then what about an expensive wireless camera??

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have this rebranded Dahua, an Amcrest IP2M-842W outdoors for 18 months with good results. It uses RTSP with Blue Iris.
The only time it glitches is the wireless will drop out for a few seconds several times a day.
I'm sure it would be MUCH better if it was wired, which I plan to do soon.
Being a bullet cam, it gets webbed by spiders more than a turret style Dahua 2MP starlight would.

Below is a video from last month, caught on motion by Blue Iris. At night it's built-in IR hits the first dish well at 20 ft., you'd need an external IR illuminator to hit the second dish and flood the area better.

Here's a night snapshot I just took at 9:18 PM, resized to 800 pixels wide:

Cam30.20180816_211816_800.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Don't forget the WizeCam v2, either the original stationary cube or the auto-tracking "tower". Inexpensive, definitely. Picture quality, very good.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@dryfly , FYI....

The Amcrest has survived 1-1/2 years of direct rainfall (45 inches this year to date); not so sure the indoor-only-rated WizeCam (or any other indoor-rated cam) would fare that well under those conditions. I do have an indoor cam on my front porch watching packages for 3 years now but it is up against the house, no direct rainfall...you'd have to take that into consideration when choosing & placing cam.
My 'dillos are outdoors, I assume yours are, too. :rolleyes: