Need comments/critiques on my LPR proposal

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can’t see you video on pc or iPhone. Just a white background
That is now two users that can't see when I uploaded these directly to IPcamtalk where else should I upload the videos to view?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can see this now!

You have some settings wrong. I think gain or noise is too high and probably something else. Need more zoom too at night.

Please post screenshots of your settings. Something is off.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can see this now!

You have some settings wrong. I think gain or noise is too high and probably something else. Need more zoom too at night.

Please post screenshots of your settings. Something is off.
My settings were posted a few posts before here they are again.
Annotation 2020-07-21 065037.jpgAnnotation 2020-07-21 065038.jpgAnnotation 2020-07-21 065039.jpgAnnotation 2020-07-21 065040.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Under exposure - go to shutter priority then customize and 1/2,000. There is shutter priority and manual shutter.

You are under Mode Manual which then introduces gain and iris settings and that is the problem.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Suggestions:
- Not enough zoom, trying to cover too wide of an area. Focus on the choke point

• Leave Sharpness and Gamma at 50 - should be no need to touch those
  • Gain to 40
  • HLC- IF you actually need it to 70
*I use Manual 1/2000 at night just fine. Range creates problems for the Z series focus at night

See choke point at 110 ft

Last edited:

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Under exposure - go to shutter priority then customize and 1/2,000. There is shutter priority and manual shutter.

You are under Mode Manual which then introduces gain and iris settings and that is the problem.
Thanks I have updated the exposure setting to this. Do I need to play with the Grade?
Annotation 2020-07-21 090247.jpg

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Suggestions:
- Not enough zoom, trying to cover too wide of an area. Focus on the choke point

• Leave Sharpness and Gamma at 50 - should be no need to touch those
  • Gain to 40
  • HLC- IF you actually need it to 70
*I use Manual 1/2000 at night just fine. Range creates problems for the Z series focus.

See choke point at 110 ft
I reverted back to 50 on sharpness and gamma and moved my HLC to 60. When I changed to Shutter Priority the gain setting was removed as far as I can tell this was wittajs recommendation. I will see if those settings provide a better result tonight if not I will go back to manual and modify the gain.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That grade should be pretty good.

I think changing to shutter priority and zooming in will get you the plates at night. If possible, you like to try to zoom in so that just about just the car is in the frame at night. Shutter priority takes gain and iris out of the equation. There are needs to adjust those sometimes, but I have noticed with the newer Z12's that it tends to be more of an issue running it that way.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Note the above image is NOT cropped. Thats how zoomed in you want to be ideally

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments I appreciate it. I will zoom in a little more but I am getting to the end of my range on the Z12 so I do hope that modifying some of the settings improves my results. Will report back tomorrow if I get another incident.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is another video I captures last night with the edits that were recommended. I changed the exposure to manual because shutter priority made the view extremely washed out. Hopefully it is just a little minor tweaking now. Unfortunately this car I don't believe had a front plate which was the better angle I got.

Annotation 2020-07-23 065306.jpgAnnotation 2020-07-23 065331_2.jpgAnnotation 2020-07-23 065358_3.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - I am surprised shutter priority at 1/2,000 was washed out.

I see a lot of artifacts and "trailing" and halo's of the headlights almost like a dust so I think there is still a setting tweak.

I also think you need to zoom in more. The back plate is not readable at all.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WOW - I am surprised shutter priority at 1/2,000 was washed out.

I see a lot of artifacts and "trailing" and halo's of the headlights almost like a dust so I think there is still a setting tweak.

I also think you need to zoom in more. The back plate is not readable at all.
Ya I will zoom in a bit more tonight the back plate was unreadable in my opinion because the angle was horrible. What other settings do you recommend to tweak do you want me to show you any of the other settings?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
More zoom to the choke point and a little more iris ... make changes one at a time so you can see the affect.

And you need a larger sampling. Do you have a vehicle? Drive it by the camera 5-10 times. Review results, make one change, repeat.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More zoom to the choke point and a little more iris ... make changes one at a time so you can see the affect.

And you need a larger sampling. Do you have a vehicle? Drive it by the camera 5-10 times. Review results, make one change, repeat.
Thanks @bigredfish I will make those changes but I am leaving out of town today so it will be a few days before I am able to view the results. I will zoom in more without making other changes and see how it looks and then touch on the Iris. I think I will dedicate some time next week and do like you said drive my car a couple of times and view the results.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not all plates are the same. Dirty, mangled, old all can produce crappy images. I get maybe 30 capture possibles between 9pm and midnight. I get anywhere from 80% to 90% good reads. Some are just unreadable.

Make sure and park the car in the exact choke point (lights off) and be sure you can get a great capture with it stationary first. Then moving vehicles become mostly a simple shutter/iris tweak.