Need guidance - Networking two buildings

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I just want to note that the fiber media converter and cable that @sebastiantombs linked are not compatible due to the cable using LC connectors and the media converter using SC connectors.

I have just written a first draft Fiber Optic Networking Primer in the wiki which we can link to people interested in fiber optic networking.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
@mikeynags Currently, its aerial fed and enters through the stucco wall. I would plan to do the same for simplicity. IF I have to, I will trench and run conduit. I'm an electrician by trade so the factors here are lack of networking knowledge and equipment costs.

@sebastiantombs, you're spot on. Right now we lease the buildings and the building owner is open to whatever we need but, at our cost. At this time, smart door locks and cameras are the main factor for having a reliable service at this second location. I need the ability to change lock combos or unlock lock from my phone for clients needing access outside of my business hours.

@Teken Currently its $1600/year which you are correct is more than my current budget. I have already cancelled the service to cut costs at for the immediate financial needs No, this isn't going to make or break my business but, I know I can get service over there for much less than that cost.. I can't imagine needing a 24 port switch at either location. The only wired devices at this time are cameras. I have some more reading to do to understand fiber because I'm sure its not just a plug and play operation.
Would fiber need to be "armored" if its in conduit?
Ideally the fibre optic cable would be outdoor rated as it provides all the required protection which makes it very durable. The cable also comes with a pull tab wrapped around the outer cable which also protects the very delicate optical port(s).

You’ll want to be really careful pulling standard fibre cable as it’s not very durable in terms of shear force. If you decide to go this route to save costs just bundle the fibre with the nylon pull rope. All the pull force will be on the nylon rope instead of the fibre cable.

As it relates to how many ports the best value is 16 ports. If you buy a switch with both SFP / SFP+ ports you just saved money on two media converters along with two less things to hang & mount never mind having to plug into 120 VAC.

Lastly, as it relates to the SFP / SFP+ transceiver modules you’ll want to purchase either the branded versions from the company or follow the approved tested validated list for the POE+ switch in question!

Nothing is worse than getting to the last mile only to find out you have no connectivity due to a incompatible transceiver!

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use these Vitek VT-WAP2150 ACCESS point. these things work great! you can configure them with dip switches. And there only $120 each

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I really appreciate the advice/guidance here. @bp2008 The fiber primer is great! I will update this post when I get everything purchased and together. If anyone else has any input, I'm open to learning it all!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe you can a pair of used Cisco/HP whatever..... Poe Switches with the Fiber ports. and keep your cost down?
Are there any of the RF wireless links that use industry standard 802.3 af/at for power?
I have the Loco Nano 2.4ghz pair, but I had to use their power supplies because Ubiquiti has a different wiring/voltage scheme.
Would be nice and clean if they just plugged into a switch. ( stolen Image provided by CCTV Camera World)setup-diagram-switch-1024x340 (1).png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
3 available, has the fiber port module installed.
I'm running a used one of these, in a space that is 80F year round,
I'm thinkin it's been up (sans 2 power outages) since I April 2020 ( 1.5 years) pushing power to a growing number of camera's. 17 at last count.
swappable power supplies and cooling fans, ( hot swap)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I really appreciate the advice/guidance here. @bp2008 The fiber primer is great! I will update this post when I get everything purchased and together. If anyone else has any input, I'm open to learning it all!
As noted up above if you purchase the same name brand SFP / SFP+ transceiver. Many of them offer more technical and health insight to that specific device not found on third party transceivers. This is a Ubiquiti branded SFP transceiver which offers two more statistics not provided by many 3rd party vendors such as: TX RX power, and temperature.

Just these two stats adds more valuable information of operational health of that unit.

Think its too hot? Think the SFP / SFP+ port is going dead? Fiber cable is bad? You don't need to guess you can tell just by these two stats along with any other information provided by the switch! :thumb: :headbang:

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As noted up above if you purchase the same name brand SFP / SFP+ transceiver. Many of them offer more technical and health insight to that specific device not found on third party transceivers. This is a Ubiquiti branded SFP transceiver which offers two more statistics not provided by many 3rd party vendors such as: TX RX power, and temperature.

Just these two stats adds more valuable information of operational health of that unit.

Think its too hot? Think the SFP / SFP+ port is going dead? Fiber cable is bad? You don't need to guess you can tell just by these two stats along with any other information provided by the switch! :thumb: :headbang:
I'm not sure how standardized that stuff is. All I can say is my Mikrotik switches read more information than that, and I use dirt-cheap transceivers from ebay. These are all 10 Gbps transceivers in a fanless switch, hence their relatively high operating temperatures.

1636823298532.png

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure how standardized that stuff is. All I can say is my Mikrotik switches read more information than that, and I use dirt-cheap transceivers from ebay. These are all 10 Gbps transceivers in a fanless switch, hence their relatively high operating temperatures.

View attachment 108236
You and I must have bought from the same eBay seller - love Finisar! I too have more than forty plus 10 GB SFP+ in my switches.

You simply can’t beat getting (10GB SFP+) transceivers for $14~17.XX a piece vs retail at three times the cost.

As it relates to the image I posted that information was displayed while hovering over the port and not in the system web page of the switch.

Regardless, another thing for the OP to consider is power consumption and operating temperatures. I know lots of people reading may stumble upon this thread so if the (OP / Other) ever plan on using any fibre media converter / switch and the the environment is very hot.

You definitely want to check if said transceiver will operate in those extreme temperatures. As it relates to power if you’re rocking more than four transceivers you’ll want to accept some technology consumes more or less energy.

All of that has a long term cost to the consumer given this is running 24.7.365. Depending upon brand historically speaking DAC’s consumed less energy vs stand alone transceivers.

Than again some RJ45 transceivers consumed even more vs their optical ones.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless you can go aerial, running fiber or Ethernet will be a little challenging. After going over my options for getting a camera at a garage about 75 feet away, considering the cost and effort of conduit or direct burial, I went with a pair of Ubiquiti radio links. Works great, even with one inside the garage, aimed at the wood wall. While it cost close to $200, it was simple, just works, and much less effort. I would have spent that much in buying direct burial ethernet. The ones I have are rated at 300 Mbps, so plenty fast for most uses. Although I do like @IReallyLikePizza2 idea about getting fiber ready switches and running fiber. But, that runs the cost up a bit!
I'm looking at a similar situation with a detached shop about 100 feet from main building.

If I go with the Ubiquiti, can I add a managed switch on the shop side and have both Lan and Vlan devices in the shop?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm looking at a similar situation with a detached shop about 100 feet from main building.

If I go with the Ubiquiti, can I add a managed switch on the shop side and have both Lan and Vlan devices in the shop?
The Ubiquity Nanos and similar are basically an Ethernet cable over a radio link. So whatever you would like goes on the other end.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk