Need help! Accessing NVR & Cams through Wifi (photos of setup)

steve_

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey everyone -
I have a new cam system for the lady so she can sleep well at night. I promised her it would send push notifications to her phone when movement is detected. So far i've failed miserably and only managed to waste 6 hours of my life :p After lots of searching i'm here...!

What I have done so far:
- I've changed NVR IP address from 192.168.1.108 to 192.168.0.200. (This matches what all the machines on our wifi network are). I've changed main interface port from 80 to 8000. I can use the ConfigTool when NVR is directly wired to my laptop, but thats it.
- I can log into NVR when Cat5 cable is connected directly to my laptop and I manually assign my computer an IPv4 address of 192.168.0.XX. From here I can view all my cameras, record etc from the NVR web interface or when hooking a monitor directly to NVR.

Problems & questions:
1. When connecting NVR->Router and using wifi connection, I can't access my NVR web interface via http://192.168.0.200:8000. I can't find evidence that the TP Link router I have is seeing this hardware.
2. Should my NVR IP (192.168.0.200) match my LAN ip (192.168.0.1)? Or should my NVR IP not match my LAN (for example, use 192.168.1.200 instead of 192.168.0.200)
3. Do I need to change my camera IPs when they are connected directly to my NVR? It looks like NVR assigns them stuff like 10.1.1.65 and 10.1.1.67 automatically. I tried changing them manually by plugging into my laptop, but they reverted back to 10.1.1.65
4. Are next steps to forward port 8000 and 37777 to 192.168.0.200? Then I can log in via LTE or 'outside internet'? Then I can get push notifications? (This is another post for another day...baby steps)

Screenshots:
1. My wiring plus model numbers
2. Screenshot of my router DHCP client list with my NVR missing (192.168.0.200)

Attachments

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I assume you checked your WiFi adapters IP address? Essentially your laptop and NVR need to be on the same IP subnet (192.168.0.1-255 if that's what you are using) for you to access it. Remember that your WiFi adapter will have it's own separate IP address from your Ethernet adapter. Also they should not have the same IP if you are setting them statically (use DHCP if not already).

I don't use an NVR but I guess it's possible it's isolating the cameras into their own subnet (the 10.x.x.x you referenced) at which point the cameras themselves would not be visible to your laptop lan subnet but the NVRs "non-camera" lan port should be. In any case if you can reach the NVR via ethernet and you can see camera video/recordings then everything is likely working ok and your issue is with your wifi adapter.

There could be other issues such as if for some reason your wifi access is in a guest network on your router at which point it would also likely be isolated from the main wifi subnet. Be sure you are connecting to the main wifi SSID not guest.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would focus on getting everything working locally first. First, make sure you are in fact on the same subnet (192.168.0.x). Make sure the .200 is outside the DHCP range in the router. Don't worry about the IP addresses of the cameras. You are correct that the NVR handles that. I'm assuming the 80 to 8000 was tge HTTP port.

Download an IP scanner either for your PC or for your phone. That will pick up static IP devices.

steve_

n3wb
Reaction score
SantiagoDraco,
-I've tried to access my NVR address (http://192.168.0.200:8000) via several computers, all with local machine DHCP wifi address starting with 192.168.0.X (x being 100 through 104).
-I think your right with regard to the NVR's own camera subnet (10.1.1.x).

Can someone confirm my line of thinking: if everything ran smoothly, I should be able to talk to my router via http://192.168.0.200:8000 from any computer on my local network, with a local machine subnet matching 192.168.0.X?

I'm starting to suspect my TP Link wifi and 4 port router is the root of the problems. I might try buying a new one and see if that changes the situation... I can't for the life of me dig up any admin settings which should disrupt this procedure...

t84a,
Could you describe the IP scanner a little more? Not sure what you mean here.

steve_

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, trying some other options.

When I enable the DHCP option on the NVR (screen shot), then it pops up on my DHCP list at a self assigned address 192.168.0.110. Still not accessible via the http://192.168.0.110:8000 (or any other port for that matter).

I can manually assign the NVR IP to a number inside or outside of the DHCP range. This doesn't make any difference. (Should the NVR address fall inside or outside the DHCP range?)

Fing can detect the NVR at 192.168.0.110 and other addresses.

This is so frustrating. ConfigTool and SmartPSS can both see the NVR at whatever address, but I can't log into it unless its wired directly to my laptop (SmartPSS has the error: offline, cannot find network host). :(

i think tomorrow i'm gonna buy a new wireless router. Lady is reaching the limit of her patience with me messing with the internet today.

Attachments

biscuit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So you have to look on your isp side....

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Post a screenshot of the ports page for the NVR. This really a pretty simple thing.

steve_

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok guys, i had a breakthrough.

I changed two things and now i can successfully access it from any computer via http://192.168.0.200:8000

I replaced my router (old TL-WR841N) and got a TP link AC1200 w/ gigabit ethernet ports. And I removed a wireless range extender from our house. PHEW!!

Now i'm gonna play around w/ port forwarding and seeing if I can access the outside world.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Read the VPN thread before you dive into port forwarding.

steve_

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, will do. I want to make sure I have every safety measure in place. My first pass at port forwarding is already successful.

Wow, so much wasted time for a bum router!