Need help choosing a Hikvision NVR for my Hikvision cameras

Reaction score
Good pm, I currently have these 3 Hikvision cameras:
1. DS-2CD2120F-IS
2. DS-2CD2143G0-IS
3. DS-2CD2142FWD-IS
And the memory card storage isn't really working for me as I had to heavily reduce my resolution just to fit 2 weeks of footage. Plus my PoE switch recently broke down so I don't have anything to power my cameras. So I just decided to hit two birds with one stone and get an NVR.

Currently these are the available Hikvision NVRs in my area:
1. DS-7604NI-E1/4P ($105)
2. DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) ($103)
3. DS-7608NI-K1(B) ($60)
4. DS-7608NI-Q1 ($54)
5. DS-7104NI-E1/4P/M ($72) - the current NVR I have my eyes on, the price seems right and pretty much ticks everything I need, it has 4 PoE ports and can support up to 4 MP cameras (Which I have 2 of, the other one is only 2 MP). The only thing that bothers me is that it's "71" whereas the other ones are "76" which I presume is a newer version? But what are the differences aside from the fact that the NVR #1,2 can support 6MP and the #5 can only support 4MP? Would this be enough? I have no plans on purchasing a 6 MP camera in the future.

I have a few concerns though:
1. I'm not sure if I understood it correctly but the /4P means it has 4 PoE ports right? and if it isn't stated on the name then it means the nvr's ethernet ports are only for data and it requires the IP Cameras to be powered through other means such as an injector? So if I need 4 PoE slots (since I don't have any external power as my poe switch broke) then I should look for the ones with the /4P such as NVRs #1,2,5 and NOT #3,4?

2. If I max the resolutions of all my cameras (2 4MP and 1 2MP) could I save up to a month's worth of footage with a 2 TB Western Digital Purple? They use the following compressions:
1. Cam #1 = 2 MP & H.264
2. Cam #2 = 4 MP & H.264+
3. Cam #3 = 4 MP & H.265+

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
DS-7604NI-E1/4P ($105)
That's an end-of-life NVR that does not support h.265
DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) ($103)
That's a current model, with 4 PoE ports.
DS-7608NI-K1(B) ($60)
That's an 8-channel current model with no PoE ports.
DS-7608NI-Q1 ($54)
DS-7104NI-E1/4P/M ($72)

I'm not sure if I understood it correctly but the /4P means it has 4 PoE ports right?
Yes, that's correct.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good advice above, I just setup an old PC trying to figure out what software to use. Right now using a discontinues PCNVR from hikvision free software, it's working but being discontinued it has it's limitations.

After all the BS I've been struggling with the 103$ for my 4 cam system seems to be worth it.

Reaction score

That's a current model, with 4 PoE ports.

That's an 8-channel current model with no PoE ports.

Yes, that's correct.
Thank you thank you so much for the info.

I was wondering, would the DS-7104NI-E1/4P/M be enough to satisfy my camera's requirements for max resolution?

Also, how does NVR make use of compression? What I thought was IP cameras were already capable of processing the video compared to analog cameras so the process I imagined they do was "Takes the video, processes and compress it>Save To Memory Card / NVR's HDD". Where does the NVR's compression fit in all of this? Or does it take the compressed media sent by the IP Cameras and re-compress it?

Update:
Oh wait, I think I found the answer to my compression question on this link Will a H.265 IP camera work on a H.264 NVR? - SCC - CCTV. Tl;dr was that the camera must be of the same or lesser compression than the NVR for it to work properly. So with that in mind, I guess I need an nvr with an H.265+?

Last edited:

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The E series is garbage.

It'll run 4 4mp cameras at medium quality, but if you try one at maximum quality with no other cameras connected it'll constantly freak out and reboot itself.

Not sure about the 4 channel E1, but the 8 channel E2 does support H265 but do yourself a favour and give them a miss unless you're happy to drop the quality of the cameras slightly from the maximum (in fairness, medium quality is still pretty good)

Reaction score
The E series is garbage.

It'll run 4 4mp cameras at medium quality, but if you try one at maximum quality with no other cameras connected it'll constantly freak out and reboot itself.

Not sure about the 4 channel E1, but the 8 channel E2 does support H265 but do yourself a favour and give them a miss unless you're happy to drop the quality of the cameras slightly from the maximum (in fairness, medium quality is still pretty good)
Thanks for the info on the E series! I'm glad I made the right choice on deciding to get the DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B) so I can maximize the H.265+ and be future proof to accommodate a 6MP camera.