Need help choosing cam for low light application

Elmojo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm in the midst of building a night vision rig for a friend who owns a pest control business.
The camera portion will be mounted to the rear of an air rifle for shooting rats and such at night at customer's locations. There's a battery pack on the stock to power it, and a small monitor to the side to watch it all.
I have a version up and running with a Sony Effio-based camera, and everything is working ok, but now that I've run across info on the Starvis line of sensors, I'm wondering if I should rebuild the system with one of those.
I'm looking for advice from you sensor-gurus on if I'm wasting my time 'upgrading' to the Starvis.
I'm just not super happy with the image quality of the Effio. It's likely the issue is with the seetings or in the cheap eBay lens I'm currently running, but I'm not quite sure where to begin troubleshooting, or if I'm getting all the performance that cam can provide.
I'm using a fairly powerful IR illuminator, but it doesn't have to remain part of the system if it's no longer needed.
I'd love to reduce the size of the overall package, since the current camera rig is a little larger than I'd like, but I can't find much info about common package sizes for the Starvis cameras I've looked at.
It appears that one of the best options might be the Caddx SDR2 fpv camera, made for quadcopter racing. It runs about $35, and seems to have fairly standard M12 lenses, so I should be able to swap out the wide FOV lens with something more suitable, and IR-sensitive.
Anyway, please direct me here, I've been searching and reading so long my eyes have gone crossed and I don't understand half of what I'm seeing anyway!