Need help choosing what cameras to order..

j-dubb

n3wb
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me out. So I need about an 8 camera setup to cover the outside of my house. I've been researching off and on for about a year now and I just haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm not sure what I need or what camera is the best option. I've read the Wiki, I have Ethernet already ran, Blue Iris, but after that.... I know the Starlight lineup is a good and popular choice right now and figured I would go that route, but there are so many models and options that it seems over whelming at times and I want to just say screw it and just order some cameras and start installing them. I know I want to go with Dahua and I'm assuming Turret style would be my best option. I have the location of the cameras and distances from a footage wheel so I know those. However I'm not sure on what camera to buy for what location. I know lighting in each area can make a difference on what camera to go with, but each location will have exterior house lights on and street lights as well, so basically your normal neighborhood lighting. If I need to add IR I can. Starlight models for each location? Which one? Varifocal? Newest Model? I would like some suggestions or advice. Price wise I have no problem spending what I need to for the cameras, but I don't need $1,000 cameras. Thanks for any help!

Corner of Garage over looking one side of driveway to street is 75 ft
Other Corner of Garage to mailbox is 50ft
Front Corner of House to street is 45ft
Front Corner of house to street is 45ft
Back Corner of house to fence is 20 ft
Back Porch over looking pool is 45 ft
Front Door Camera

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Stick with 2MP Starlight varifocal turrets wherever you possibly can. Turrets pretty much eliminate spider web problem and, with the varifocal, you can set the focal length for each camera to suit your specific application area and what you really need to see. Maybe at the back corner/fence you could probably use a fixed 3.8mm to save a few bucks. For the front door the 4231F-AS seems to be the preferred camera. I can tell you I have five Starlights and I only use IR on two of them. The other three have enough ambient light from street lighting. The other two are on the backyard, or face toward the back, where there is no real ambient light.

One other comment. You're talking about seven cameras. Trust me, you'll end up with more. It's like crack! I started with two, have nine a year later and will be expanding to 12 or 15.

j-dubb

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks you for your advice! I will order 6-IPC-HDW5231R-Z's (I'm assuming this is the best model currently) and 1- Front door-4231F-AS and I want to try out the IPC-A46 for the baby's room. Are these the turrets you were talking about?

j-dubb

n3wb
Reaction score
Looney2ns I'm glad you posted! Looks like the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE is a little better than the IPC-HDW5231R-Z so I will order those instead. I read your IPC-A46 review and thank you again for that.