Need Help Cutting off POE to camera

ScooterS

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a POE system that I bought from Backstreet Surveillance. I have a camera that I want to have on only when my (DSC) home security system is armed.

I have most of it figured out on the alarm end. However, I need to turn off the camera by powering it down. The simplest way seems to be to cut the POE power to the camera.I will use another power supply (Wall Wart) with a smart switch to power the camera when I want it on/off.

I opened up my CAT6 Cable running to the camera and cut what I understood were the POE wires ( Brown and Blue Pairs 4,5,7,8). This leaves data on pins 1,2,3,6 intact. I've verified that the "correct" pins are cut with a circuit checker.

Anyhow, with the pins cut and no other power supply pugged in, I'm still getting my live camera image!!

I will call Backstreet in the morning. However, I thought that I'd check here for help:
  • Why do I still have a live image with the POE wires cut?
  • Any better suggestions on how to switch the camera on and off?

(I'm a newbie here.... please be gentle)

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a POE system that I bought from Backstreet Surveillance. I have a camera that I want to have on only when my (DSC) home security system is armed.

I have most of it figured out on the alarm end. However, I need to turn off the camera by powering it down. The simplest way seems to be to cut the POE power to the camera.I will use another power supply (Wall Wart) with a smart switch to power the camera when I want it on/off.

I opened up my CAT6 Cable running to the camera and cut what I understood were the POE wires ( Brown and Blue Pairs 4,5,7,8). This leaves data on pins 1,2,3,6 intact. I've verified that the "correct" pins are cut with a circuit checker.

Anyhow, with the pins cut and no other power supply pugged in, I'm still getting my live camera image!!

I will call Backstreet in the morning. However, I thought that I'd check here for help:
  • Why do I still have a live image with the POE wires cut?
  • Any better suggestions on how to switch the camera on and off?

(I'm a newbie here.... please be gentle)

Thanks!
HI @ScooterS

Not certain what your functional requirements are,

the easiest way is to power on / off a small PoE switch ..

ScooterS

n3wb
Reaction score
..or single POE injector for that cam only.
If my NVR is already sending power down the line, will adding a single POE injector cause a problem (or smoke)?
I can't shut off the POE for an individual port on my NVR.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The port from the POE NVR, IF it's 802.3af compatible, will not send power to the device until that device requests power; the POE inector will not request power from the POE NVR.

A POE Injector should not connect its powered pins to the "LAN" marked port, only to the "POE" marked port and it will not request power from the POE NVR port.

TLDNR: No problem; if the NVR's POE port is 802.3af compatible, just run it to the LAN port on the POE injector and the POE injector's POE port to the POE camera.

ScooterS

n3wb
Reaction score
The port from the POE NVR, IF it's 802.3af compatible, will not send power to the device until that device requests power; the POE inector will not request power from the POE NVR.

A POE Injector should not connect its powered pins to the "LAN" marked port, only to the "POE" marked port and it will not request power from the POE NVR port.

TLDNR: No problem; if the NVR's POE port is 802.3af compatible, just run it to the LAN port on the POE injector and the POE injector's POE port to the POE camera.
Thanks Tony R and all! I have a Single Port POE injector coming from Amazon tomorrow. I'll give it a try and report back!

ScooterS

n3wb
Reaction score
WoW! It works! I the Amazon Fairy brought a single port injector today. I can now turn my interior camera(s) on and off when our DSC home alarm is armed/disarmed.
Here is the rundown, if anyone else is interested:
At the Alarm Panel End:
  • Program DSC (Neo Series) PGM output to come on when alarm is armed.
  • Use a 12 volt car relay off of the PGM to provide dry contacts that open and close when the alarm is armed/disarmed
  • Use a "Smartthings" device to activate when the alarm is enabled. .
At the Camera End:
-Put the Single Channel POE injector inline with the CAT6 Going to the Inside Camera
- POE from the NVR is blocked by the Injector- regardless of the Injector status
- POE is added back to the line by the injector when it is powered on
-Connect the POE Injector's power supply to a Smart Switch
  • Create a Smart things automation that says when the device on the alarm box is activated, turn the power on to the inline POE injector.
  • Create a second automation to turn off the system, when the alarm is turned off.

Easy Peasey!
We always set the alarm, but never would remember to turn on the inside camera before we left home. Now we can watch the dog or for the boogey man while we are out.
If any of us are home, the alarm is off, the camera is off, and we don't have to worry about snooping on each other.

(While I was at it, I added our smart home door locks to the Automation. That way all of the doors to the house automatically lock 60 seconds after the alarm is enabled.)

Thanks for the advice.
I hope this may help someone else with a similar project!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.