Need Help Finding A Powerful Tower PC For Blue Iris

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no PC knowledge and would like to buy a already built PC to run Blue Iris on. I have 4 1080p cams that I run at 30fps and my current PC CPU is in the high 90s. I want to add 6 more cameras with the same settings. Is there a reasonably priced PC that can run 10 cameras at 1080p 30fps?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Search the forum for "Optiplex" and "Elitedesk". These are Dell and HP machines that can be purchased refurbished with a 3 year warranty on E-Bay or the company outlet stores. Generally an I7 6700 should be fine. Not sure why you want 30fps as 10 is fast enough for most security situations. Most of us started out thinking we needed 30fps but find out we are happy with the lower rate.

Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no PC knowledge and would like to buy a already built PC to run Blue Iris on. I have 4 1080p cams that I run at 30fps and my current PC CPU is in the high 90s. I want to add 6 more cameras with the same settings. Is there a reasonably priced PC that can run 10 cameras at 1080p 30fps?
what processor do you currently have?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AMD FX-6300 3.50GHz Hexa-Core Processor, 16GB DDR3 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM) Graphics, 802.11ac Wireless, 2TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 10

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
AMD FX-6300 3.50GHz Hexa-Core Processor, 16GB DDR3 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM) Graphics, 802.11ac Wireless, 2TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 10
that system can easily handle you current cams at much less than 90 percent, have you enabled direct to disk for each camera?
you will want an effcient intel based system...search this forum for elitedesk and optiplex...if you want lots of headroom for future expansion you can buy an i7-6700 based system for 400-500....be cognizant of the amount of disks systems can hold...for dell they will all hold one 3.5, the rest 2.5 unless you go with precision models..with hp, the elitedesk and prodesk towers will hold 2x3.5 and at least one or two 2.5....you dont want a discrete video card...you want to use intel hd.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do have direct to disk enabled for each camera. I only use the PC for Blue Iris. Right now the CPU is at 98. All cameras are set to h.265.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do have direct to disk enabled for each camera. I only use the PC for Blue Iris. Right now the CPU is at 98. All cameras are set to h.265.
still sounds high though h.265 adds consumption...are you logging into the pc using teamviewer?

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why do I want to use use intel hd and not a discrete video card.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere here that Blue Iris can't do hardware acceleration with h.265. Am I wrong?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere here that Blue Iris can't do hardware acceleration with h.265. Am I wrong?
not at the moment, but i would assume its likely to be implemented in the future....you are WAY better off spending the extra money on more storage and using h.264 than using h.265 and using a discrete card + more cpu...it will pay for itself and eventually you should be able to move to h.265...h.264 acceleration was released when intel processors could only do 264...6th generation skylake and up can do 265.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Baubas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've looked on eBay but everything I see seems to be more expensive. Could you please provide a link to something you would buy? I would like as much headroom as possible so I can add as many cameras I want without worrying about upgrading it for as long as possible. I know people here try to encourage others to do their own work but I don't want to make another expensive mistake.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've looked on eBay but everything I see seems to be more expensive. Could you please provide a link to something you would buy? I would like as much headroom as possible so I can add as many cameras I want without worrying about upgrading it for as long as possible. I know people here try to encourage others to do their own work but I don't want to make another expensive mistake.
search the forum..read the threads and you will understand how to buy...
want lots of headroom and dont care about spending money? buy a system with an EIGHTH generation i7-8700....way overkill...you could pay 400 for an 6700 today..then in 3 years buy a much better system IF you end up needing it.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First suggestion, De-caf. It will take some time to find a deal on E-Bay or the outlet. But they are there. If time is more important than money, buy new. We gave you some good reading. RTFF.