Need help setting up camera for the first time

Reaction score
I just purchased the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy (Empire Candy). I'm just trying to set it up temporarily to determine proper placement and see how the camera will perform before I purchase the rest of the system (7 cameras, POE NVR).

The instructions that came with the camera are confusing to someone new to this. I have installed the Smart PSS software and the Config Tool that came with the camera. When I run the software it doesn't register any camera as being connected.

I have a TP Link POE Injector to get the system running for my needs right now.

The way I have it setup is as follows
Ethernet cable from the router to a POE Injector
Ethernet cable from POE Injector to camera

What do I need to do next to get the camera to be recognized?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First, plug only the nvr in and set a static ip address for it (not the 192.168.1.108 it comes with...maybe 192.168.x.50 for example. (the x being whatever you currently have setup on your network.)

Then, plug only the camera into your network and set its static ip address to something different than the 192.168.1.108 it comes with. Maybe 192.168.x.51 for example.

Then everything should work. One by one plug the other cameras in once you get the first one working and change them to static ip addresses.

Reaction score
I don't have the NVR yet. I just have the POE Injector powering the camera.

How do I assign an address to it? Is that what the Config Tool software is used for? My knowledge of networking is limited.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua cameras and NVR's ship with the IP address of 192.168.1.108. Since your home network is 192.168.0.xx they can't talk to each other because the first 3 sets of numbers aren't the same. The last set needs to be different for each device on your network. Your router handles giving each device its own number, but your going to manually set a static IP address for each camera.

You'll have to plug the camera directly into the Ethernet port of you computer (turn off wifi if a laptop) and temporarily change the ip address of your computer to 192.168.1.10. Then your computer and camera will be able to talk to each other.
I'd go to the admin page of the camera and change it in the settings to 192.168.0.xx (some number not currently used by something else on your network).

Then remove the static ip address of your computer and plug everything back in like normal and it'll work.

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to change the IP address of the computer. The image shows where I'm at. Is this correct? What about subnet mask/default gateway/dns server addresses?IP Address.JPG

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That looks right.

As soon as you change it you won't be able to access the internet or anything else until you change it back to "get ip address automatically"

Reaction score
I got it to work! Thanks so much for the help. I was really lost and wasted several hours prior to looking for help here.