Need help setting up Home security system

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im not new to these forums but im problably a bigger noob than i was a year ago. Thanks to this covid crisis i about finally have the time to set up my home security system. About a year back i was designing/brainstorming everything i needed for my home surveillance system. Not too long after receiving my first ip cams i put this project on the backburner. I have have everything i need (optiplex PC, blue iris, poe switch, and i have the cams). Now im stuck in how to proceed regarding networking and cybersecurity. I have blue iris running and recording the cameras output. I am currently connected to my home router but i have another router which i plan to use exclusively for the camera system.

I basically need help setting up the cams and system now. I dont want the cameras to communicate with anything else other the router. Im a little bit more confused now because i have my router disconnected and im still able to see the camera thats connected. All i have is the poe switch connected to the pc. It was my understanding that i needed the router as part of the system, regardless if it was connected to the internet or not.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A router "routes" and among other tasks, assigns IP addresses to devices (that are set to DHCP) in the LAN by using a range of addresses in it's "DHCP pool".

If all the devices in the LAN (the BI server, all the cams. etc.) have static IP's all in the same subnet then there is no need for a router, a switch can connect all the devices to that LAN.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your objective is to access your BI computer and cameras from the internet you have a long way to go. If all you want is to access your cameras when you are only at home, you are close.
Who is your internet service provided ?

The best place to start is a diagram of your network, including the equipment manufacture and model numbers, and IP address. Provide only local IP addresses.

Private ip addresses. Local IP addresses. These addresses are NOT used by the internet. They are for your local home/business network.
10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

wetto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since the camera seems to record fine without being connected to any network I think I'll be fine with that. I use Google's remote desktop to access the computer and view the cams/blueiris there rather than through the blue Iris software. I just want to theoretically prevent people from snooping or otherwise tampering with the cameras.