Need help setting up OpenVPN with fiber optic

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I just switched from cable to frontier fiber optic now using the Eero Pro 6e mesh system.

On my old setup I was using the Asus RT-AC1750 router which has the built in OpenVPN server.

I want to keep using OpenVPN so I can keep my cameras offline from the internet and not port forward them.

I am not sure how I can do this though. Can someone who has done this before help and walk me through this? Is it even possible?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Instead of the router hosting OpenVPN, you install it on a computer.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I run a dahua nvr and not blue iris. Not sure if that changes anything.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also check with your service provider (Frontier) to see if their demarcation hardware (ie the modem/router) supports a "bridge" or "pass through" connection. If they do, you can use your own firewall/router to handle all your network security including VPN. In other words, you can go back to using your old hardware. You'll just need to ensure the WAN connection is set up correctly for the Frontier connection. That being said, it probably would work just by plugging it in as most of these connection just use DHCP now, so it would automatically connect to a new WAN network without issues.

If you want to use the new Eero Pro 6e mesh APs, just turn off the WiFi transmission in the Asus RT-AC1750 router and plug the Eero system into one of the network plugs on the Asus (or whatever switch you are using).

Reaction score
So far I’ve managed to get ZeroTier working with T-Mobile 5G home internet.

Moved it to an empty port on my dual WAN router, changed the Managed Route in ZeroTier and have it working on there now.

There’s probably settings I don’t have quite right but so far OpenVPN through my router seems to work better for me. When I flip the switch in the OpenVPN app on my phone as soon as it connects (in seconds) I can open DMSS and the cameras load. With ZeroTier it may take a minute or longer before anything actually loads, once it connects it seems to work ok and has been stable.

Still have lots to learn and figure out with the unit. Such as WireGaurd for one but I started with ZT to see if it would work with T-Mobile and I would call that a success since there’s not many options with them

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
PiVPN with wireguard

I’m still trying to figure all this out. Just wish there was a simple solution. I’m tempted to just port forward but I know everyone says not to.

What would you say is the best pivpn (without WiFi) that won’t break the bank. Best place to buy as well. Amazon?

I believe this should work if you don’t have an always on computer. I just ordered one to see about getting OpenVPN off my router to lighten the load on it and try out WireGaurd

View attachment 192446
Or would this be the way to go?

I only want it to handle the VPN part of it. Keeping it as simple as it can be.

I’m not super tech savvy so bear with me regarding all my questions.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m still trying to figure all this out. Just wish there was a simple solution. I’m tempted to just port forward but I know everyone says not to.

What would you say is the best pivpn (without WiFi) that won’t break the bank. Best place to buy as well. Amazon?

Or would this be the way to go?

I only want it to handle the VPN part of it. Keeping it as simple as it can be.

I’m not super tech savvy so bear with me regarding all my questions.
set this up first on the PI

then follow that video above. its pretty easy.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I use this and I think it rocks. Very flexible. I'm using Wireguard on it currently
VERY simple to setup and manage even for network dummies like me.

I dont use it as a router, left my Netgear in place.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I use this and I think it rocks. Very flexible. I'm using Wireguard on it currently
VERY simple to setup and manage even for network dummies like me.

I dont use it as a router, left my Netgear in place.
360 bucks vs a 40 dollar Pi.

seems a bit crazy

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
So I just switched from cable to frontier fiber optic now using the Eero Pro 6e mesh system.

On my old setup I was using the Asus RT-AC1750 router which has the built in OpenVPN server.

I want to keep using OpenVPN so I can keep my cameras offline from the internet and not port forward them.

I am not sure how I can do this though. Can someone who has done this before help and walk me through this? Is it even possible?
You can also just put your Asus in place of the Eero. That’s probably the easiest option for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

You could keep the RT-AC1750 doing the routing and VPN (if it can handle your fiber speeds), turn off it's wifi, and use the Eero system as access points.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
yea, most of the same features.

u run piVPN and pihole.

doesnt have a hot spot, but there may be an add on of somesort.
Dude, scroll down this page, if a $40 Pi can do all of that natively including the interface and app, I'll buy one tomorrow. Heck I'll buy 2!

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Dude, scroll down this page, if a $40 Pi can do all of that natively including the interface and app, I'll buy one tomorrow. Heck I'll buy 2!
not sure if you have ever worked with a RasPi before.. they are amazing devices. but def harder to set up. of course you are going to spend more money on an item like yours thats turnkey right out of the box.

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I went with the Brume 2 unit, hooked the WAN cable from the modem to the WAN cable on the brume, then the lan from the br to the computer.

Set up just fine, logged in fine, setup WireGuard fine and installed on phone. It says it has connection but I can’t get back to my network.

I probably need to do something else as this was all I did.

Setup as Modem > Brume > Eero Gateway

Only thing i can notice is the ipaddress on the brume is different than the eeros. Specifically, the 3rd number. x.x.8.1. Do these need to match?