Need help setting up OpenVPN with fiber optic

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also not sure if I need to port forward anything anywhere.

What I typed out above is all I’ve done so far

Reaction score
I believe you need to forward 51820 UDP from the modem to the Brume. I don’t know anything about the Eero Gateway but the Brume may need to be behind it. As in modem-Eero Gateway-Brume. Then the 51820 forwarded to the EG which then forwards 51820 to the Brume

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe you need to forward 51820 UDP from the modem to the Brume. I don’t know anything about the Eero Gateway but the Brume may need to be behind it. As in modem-Eero Gateway-Brume. Then the 51820 forwarded to the EG which then forwards 51820 to the Brume

So do you think I need to update the IP of the brume to match my local LAN IP because it's different right now with the Brume being 192.168.8.1.

I believe I can port forward the Brume from the Eero app

Reaction score
I don’t think that matters if the Brume is connected to a wan port on the Eero, assuming it’s basically a router?

I have mine plugged into my router only using the wan port on the Brume, nothing is connected to the lan port. My modem is port forwarded to the router which is port forwarded to the Brume. I don’t know that this is really the best way to set it up but it seems to be working with WireGuard. I do remember telling it no to using DDNS then once I downloaded the configuration to my phone I changed the ip address to my DDNS name under PEER Endpoint leaving the port number after the colon

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Network Topology
  • If GL.iNet router is the main router in your network, this is simple, please move to the next step.
  • If you already have a main router, then the GL.iNet router is under the main router, you may need to setup a port forwarding on the main router.
  • If you already have a main router, the GL.iNet router is several levels below it and you need to set up port forward on each level.
Still working through it. If "Main Router" is considered the Eero Pro 6 then I would have to put the Brume after the Eero, I think?

I also understand I'd need to port forward the Brume to the Eero. The question I have I think, don't I need to change the IP of the Brume to match the IP series of my Eero Lan? Brume is 192.168.8.1 > Eero is different. Does that even matter?

Reaction score
I went with after but that’s because my router is a dual wan, so if my dsl connection goes down it will switch to the t-mobile home internet. If that happens I have to use ZeroTeir, so in my situation the Brume has to be after the main router.

I would plug the Brume into a Eero lan port and set the Brume wan ip to be on the Eero lan subnet. Then in the modem, port forward 51820 to the Eero wan ip address. In the Eero, port forward 5182 to the Brume wan ip address. In order to access the Brume HTTPS Remote Access will have to be enabled

Chase

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok i'll have to figure out how to log into the modem because access is denied when i type the IP address in. I know how to port forward on the Eero though.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I think PiVPN with wireguard would be ab easier and cheaper VPN set up for you.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheaper possibly. I don’t think it would necessarily be any easier. Ports still have to be forwarded and settings set correctly
watch the video. it literally took me 15 minutes and had never used a rasPi before.

i used for duck dns for my DDNS since i didnt have a static IP.

my Duck DNS

Reaction score
I just watched the video. I stand by my statement, cheaper but in no way was that easier to setup than the Brume and still requires port forwarding. Cool little devices but I don’t really want to mess with command lines

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Im done trying for tonight. Need a break.

Is there a specific pivpn you like? Amazon?
really u just pick up a raspberry pi and a memory card, and just follow the video above.

im using the pi400 (got a good deal on it and had a built in keyboard)

but u can go with any raspi 4 and add an SD card.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I just watched the video. I stand by my statement, cheaper but in no way was that easier to setup than the Brume and still requires port forwarding. Cool little devices but I don’t really want to mess with command lines
its pretty much all copy and paste.