Need help troubleshooting Dahua

rhosch

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased 5 of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from empiretcandy. This are connected to an 8 port POE switch along with my BlurIris computer. Router is pfsense, and this switch is on its own physical NIC, separate subnet from my main house network, and only the BI computer IP has privileges to see outside that subnet.

On initial connection the Dahua configuration tool could see 3 of the 5. Those I was able to change the default password, change IP to the correct subnet, and add to BI pretty easily.

The 4th I had a swapped cat pair when I punched down to my patch panel. Got that sorted, configuration tool picked it up. I had a hard time changing IP, kept getting "password error" but somehow eventually it worked and got it added to BI.

The last camera the guys who pulled the cat cable left it too short in my network closet (!). This cable runs between floors and through a space above a porch that had foam insulation put in - not sure it is possible to get a new cable there. So I tried to splice it. I know, not a great practice.

I did a rough twist the pairs splice at first just to see if everything else was in order. Config tool picked it up but in trying to set that camera up the config tool lost it. Signal was just flaky. I properly terminated the cable ends at the splice and after trying a couple of different splices I found one that seemed to keep a good connection, according to the switch at least.

However... I can see the camera in the config tool but can't change the IP address. Keep getting password error. I changed to what I would have set the password to in the search setting of config tool but doesn't work. I also can't see the webpage of the camera at the default 192.168.1.108 IP but that might be because it's on a different subnet?

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot from here. I don't know if I botched changing the password when the splice was more flaky and now I just can't figure out what it is, or if the splice is still being flaky. Suggestions? And, 8ve tried resetting the password but it tells me I haven't entered an email address (don't see anywhere to enter one) and that process looks involved. Is there a simpler way to accomplish that?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What browser are you using to initially configure the camera through its; GUI? IE, not Edge, works. So does Chrome with the IE plug-in and Pale Moon 32 bit. That might help, but it's just a guess.

As far as your splice, if it doesn't have solder on it, it ain't gonna hold up over time. Crimp stuff is far too unreliable.

Reaction score
Do not try to initialize the cam from it's installed position. Do the initializing using a pre-made cable at your POE switch. Get the password set and the IP address set. Then test it at the install location before actually mounting it.

If the password is smurfed, do a hard reset to bring it back to factory defaults. This will reset everything. With the cam powered on via POE, hold the reset button down for at least 10 seconds. It is the small button below the SD card.

InkedDSC_0456_LI.jpg

rhosch

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take the cam down and hard reset it and then see if I can get it configured before reinstalling.

I'm using chrome as a browser but was trying to do the initial setup via the Dahua cong tool I downloaded, since the subnet the switch is on is different from the camera defaults. In any case, I can open the webgui for the other 4 cameras in chrome just fine so that seems to work well enough.

Soldering cat cable isn't a good idea. Maybe no worse than most other splicing methods but not recommended. The solder can cause an impedance bump, and it's really difficult to maintain twisted geometry reasonably. For some applications I'm sure it works fine though. Most other splicing methods are bad too I guess. The camera cat runs terminate in a 110 patch panel in my network closet. If I still have doubts about the splice I'm using, I can eliminate the short cable run from the splice to patch panel, and just do from splice to POE switch directly. And I guess I can remove the rj45 termination and splice connector and punch that cable into a small wall mounted 110 block, then from there to switch. I guess that would be the proper way to do it if needed. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Reaction score
And I guess I can remove the rj45 termination and splice connector and punch that cable into a small wall mounted 110 block, then from there to switch. I guess that would be the proper way to do it if needed. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Or just put an RJ45 on the end and use a female-to-female keystone jack. Hell both my patch panels are using those.

rhosch

n3wb
Reaction score
That's what I'm using currently as the splice. Had to try a couple before finding one that seemed to keep the signal decent.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you think an IDC connector doesn't produce an impedance spike you haven't looked at them with a TDR. The idea for solder is to prevent any possibility of corrosion. If you're using a female coupler, especially in an unheated environment, use some dielectric gel on it and maybe some tape as well. You're dealing with a DC voltage as well as data which changes the parameters just a tad.

rhosch

n3wb
Reaction score
If you think an IDC connector doesn't produce an impedance spike you haven't looked at them with a TDR. The idea for solder is to prevent any possibility of corrosion. If you're using a female coupler, especially in an unheated environment, use some dielectric gel on it and maybe some tape as well. You're dealing with a DC voltage as well as data which changes the parameters just a tad.
You're probably right. I was just trying to follow best practice guidelines.

The splice is indoors thankfully. At least I have the option of bypassing my patch panel if I think that's really necessary. Of course I'm miffed that the guys left so little free cable when they pulled it. Basic no no.