Need help trying to set up VPN

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Trying to set up a VPN on my Android and home router without any port forwarding. Cisco has a great site for info, but it is more complicated than I need. I need to find what would be the remote IP address for my Moto G Play Android phone USING 4G/3G Verizon network. One would think the remote IP for my Android phone might change as I change locations..I don't know the answer to this. I see plenty of explanations for if you have a free IP service (Strong, Anyconnect, OpenVPN, etc), but I thought I had read you could set up a VP between phone and Router without a third party VPN. Is this true? 2nd thing..see attached pic of my Router VPN setup page.. What would be the addresses needed (an example) for the Remote IPSEC gateway, the Tunnel Access Local & Tunnel Access Remote ?

Attachments

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't worry about the IP address of your phone on whatever outside network (Starbucks wifi or 4G) as it won't matter.

Looking at your attachment... The local ip address for VPN I BELIEVE is the IP address of the router your running it one I think... Not sure though.

The IP address for the remote VPN section I THINK is something you make up that won't conflict with your internal IP address range or something your likely to encounter on another network. So if your internal address range is 192.168.0.1-254 you could make the external section 192.168.1.1-254 but that wouldn't be suggested because your friends house might have that range and it won't work. Pick something else.

My NAS (where I run my VPN server) handled all of this for me so I don't have direct experience with setting this up, but from my reading I believe that's how it works. Hopefully I've given you a bit of sound advice to start with anyway.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe the VPN section you are accessing is for site-to-site VPN. You need remote access VPN. What other VPN choices does your router give?

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bryan, did you get this figured out?
No...I was off on vacation..had a few other things going on. Like Rotorwash was saying, I think I need a remote access VPN. Most instructions are for a site to site which I could figure out. Just want it for my Moto g phone, which has a VPN section. When the Moto phone accesses the NVR/cameras using GDMSS, the NVR log shows a different IP address for the phone each time.

Bryan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe the VPN section you are accessing is for site-to-site VPN. You need remote access VPN. What other VPN choices does your router give?
My router gives either the option for single IP address or a subnet. About the same for the VPN setup on the Moto G phone but the IP address changes every time I access GDMSS.