Need help understanding "Blue Iris Status" message and connection logs.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
I need some help understanding the "Blue Iris Status". I am using BI Version 4 and accessing it with the Android App. In the BI Message Log it shows a log in and log off using the WAN and the LAN from the Android app. I also see connections to a Blue Iris server. I am concerned about one connection that has shown up a couple of times in under the "Message" tab of the BI Status. It shows "Connected: 78.85.78.219" which is apparently a server in Russia. It does not show up under the "Connections" of BI Status like the WAN and LAN connections. It does show up in detailed log (from "View Log" tab).

Is this just a "ping" or is that Russian server actually connecting to Blue Iris. The firewalls on the router are all up. If it is actually connecting, what action should I take. I am a little confused on what the BI Status logs are trying to tell me.

If this has been covered in a prior discussion, a link to the thread would be helpful. I don't really want to cover old ground.

Thanks in advance for any help
John

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
@Tacoman - you should move away from doing port forwarding on your router and setup OpenVPN. It's much more secure than opening up ports to view Blue Iris. Search OpenVPN or the VPN primer for noobs for more info.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was thinking of upgrading to BI 5. That may be a good time to reconfigure the system. I need to do some homework.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep - lots of good info right here. I don't use OpenVPN personally, but there are a ton of folks here that do. I use a VPN that comes with the firewall I am using.