Need help understanding networking and looking for a router to install and setup a VPN for my cameras

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm current looking for a router to install and setup a VPN for my cameras. I was looking at the Asus one in the clifnotes but I really don't want to pay 100+$ just to only have it do 1 thing. I was looking for the lesser versions like AC66U but the ones I find on amazon all seem to be Renewed(reused?) and I kind of don't trust reused hardware, especially for this case. I'm not even sure what kind of router or router features to look for either. For years I've always used whatever crappy modem+router my ISP's give me and setup for me so I never really got a chance to learn this stuff. I'm also not sure how all this is suppose to hook up. Do I just plug a new router into my old one and set it up from the new router's home page?

I also thought about installing custom firmware but the one my ISP's gave me isn't even listed for DD-WRT and OpenWRT.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with used hardware especially the RT-AC66U as long as it works. You could install the latest Asus firmware on it or you could install FreshTomato if you wanted to do vlans. This router would in effect replace your ISPs router for all functions, you would just set your current one to bridge mode in order to use it with the new one. Setting up the VPN is fairly straightforward and you can find all the help you need on this forum.