Need help viewing camera when away from wifi

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have looked at a few tutorials with a quick search on how to be able to view my cam when I am away from the wifi. Any ideas on what could be wrong on why I can't view it when away form home? I have already done the port forwarding. Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You must not be doing the portforwarding right. You will need to post screen shots or describe what you are doing so we can find the error.

eyeball

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have looked at a few tutorials with a quick search on how to be able to view my cam when I am away from the wifi. Any ideas on what could be wrong on why I can't view it when away form home? I have already done the port forwarding. Thank you.
Did you get this resolved?

You might be encountering an issue with your ISP blocking inbound port 80 (normal http traffic) on the IP address assigned by your ISP. I had the same issue and changed it to port 81 - resolved the issue.

By the way, (particularly if you have more than one camera) I highly recommend Blue Iris (a bargain at $50) - that way you consolidate your cameras to the Blue Iris interface - great software! It's easy to configure Blue Iris to use port 81.

You have to remember to set up your port forwarding in your router to use port 81 for each of your camera addresses (if you're not using Blue Iris). Also, again if you do not use Blue Iris, then you'll have to change your camera(s) to use port 81. Ultimately, once everything is set up to use port 81 correctly, you'd access your camera (or Blue Iris' web server) with http://<your external ip address assigned by your ISP>:81

You can find your external ip which is assigned by your ISP by typing in "what's my ip" as a google search (without quotes).

Good Luck!

Meltz

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I actually haven't got this fixed yet but that's because I haven't been able to go into my wifi because is my parent's. I will have to ask them to do it for me. Thanks for the info and reply!

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First of all, let us know the system you have. Which ports you have forwarded, which ddns service your using, and have you checked your ports with canyouseeme.org
I am also guessing in your mobile device in the settings, you are entering the local IP address of the dvr rather than the ddns IP address. Bottom line, we need alittle more
info to help you out.

anawan

n3wb
Reaction score
I might be having a similar problem. I have a Dahua camera. I set up a dynamic DNS site and I am having very spotty results with internet access. So far, when I try to access the camera feed with mac's, in all cases, I get an initial image then it freezes and I start getting error messages. I have two confirmed successes with PC's - though with some lag.

Both Apple and Android phone apps work when logging in away from the the local wifi network.

Any ideas what would cause mac's to not work?

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Which camera and firmware build date do you have? Not all of them are compatible with MAC yet. Your best bet is to go to Dahua's website and download PSS for MAC. It's free and you will be
able to view your camera no matter which firmware it has.

anawan

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the SD42212SN-HN 2MP 12X Optical Zoom PTZ Dome (SD42212SN-HN)

I'm not sure which firmware is on it - I am not at the camera location now.

Patz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have three cameras set up with port forwarding on ports 82, 85 & 80. I can view one camera while away but can not access the other two. Any ideas. I have even set up host redirects on noip

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
when you enter the ip address you need to enter the port by adding :xx with xx being the port number
so if your noip address is myname.noip.org you need to enter myname.noip.org:XX
what are you using for remote access? pc, phone app?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
are you using the browser or some app?
which camera is working, what port number?

Patz

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried in the browser using the noip name adding the port get the same message server can't be found

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Note that many isp's block port 80, so change that one. Check the settings on the other.
Note that these cameras have serious vulnerabilities and you should not keep them in private areas if you are going to port forward them without using a VPN service.