Need Help - Weird kbps Issue with PTZs

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The issue: very choppy video, especially when PTZ moves and zooms in, on the camera's GUI clock the time skips 2-5 seconds forward as well.

Details: Comparing the two SD8C845FG PTZs at different locations on the property, the first (location 8) operates at 10,250 kbps while the second (location #6) is less than 5,000 kbps, when tracking a person the kbps drops to <3,000 kbps on the camera's GUI. Both PTZs are set up the exact same way, with an Encode setup of Main Stream only, H264H, General Strategy, 3840x2160 resolution, 24FPS, CBR, 10,240-bit rate, I Frame of 24. The PTZ operating at 5,000 kbps is not the issue since I had another PTZ (SD6AL433XA) doing the same thing (lower kbps) at location #6 compared to its twin at location #7. I installed a new PFA120 at location #6 but no change. What is baffling is several times this has happened when the SD6AL433XA was installed at location #6 but it would sort itself out. Another interesting data point is on the camera's GUI it shows 5,000 kbps while the NVR shows 9,000 kbps, not sure why.

Location Setup Specifics:
NVR: NVR5216-16P-I
First installed PTZ at location #6: SD6AL433XA-HNR
Second installed PTZ at location #6 (new and installed this past Sunday): SD8C845FG-HNF
PFA120 within 100 feet
NVR within 200 feet of PFA120
Cat6 in ePoE switch in NVR
Total kbps at NVR 114,700
Total Power Draw at NVR 40.1W on a total of 130W available
Smart Plan, IVS rules one Tripwire and one Intrusion box

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did a default reboot using the camera's GUI but no difference in performance.

I'm wondering if the NVR may be the problem, the reason I say that is I have two SD8C845FG-HNF PTZ cameras, the older one has been up for almost a year and working perfectly since it was installed. The difference with the older one working perfectly is it is much further away from the house where the NVR is located and uses fiber optic to get here. The setup is the older camera uses a PFA120 to power it and that feeds the cameras data to an Intellinet 8 port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Switch with PoE Passthrough into an Intellinet converter (RJ45 to fiber) that travels 800 feet to my house and into another Intellinet converter that converts it to an RJ45 connector that connects to a Cisco 110 Series switch that my NVR connects to as well as my computers and router.

The newer camera connects to the NVR's ePoE RJ45 port #6, travels 200 feet using Cat 6 cable to a PFA120 then travels 100 feet to the camera mounted in a tree.

Any thoughts, opinions, and/or suggestions?

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did a default reboot using the camera's GUI but no difference in performance.

I'm wondering if the NVR may be the problem, the reason I say that is I have two SD8C845FG-HNF PTZ cameras, the older one has been up for almost a year and working perfectly since it was installed. The difference with the older one working perfectly is it is much further away from the house where the NVR is located and uses fiber optic to get here. The setup is the older camera uses a PFA120 to power it and that feeds the cameras data to an Intellinet 8 port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Switch with PoE Passthrough into an Intellinet converter (RJ45 to fiber) that travels 800 feet to my house and into another Intellinet converter that converts it to an RJ45 connector that connects to a Cisco 110 Series switch that my NVR connects to as well as my computers and router.

The newer camera connects to the NVR's ePoE RJ45 port #6, travels 200 feet using Cat 6 cable to a PFA120 then travels 100 feet to the camera mounted in a tree.

Any thoughts, opinions, and/or suggestions?
The newer camera with Cat 6 cable might also be the problem. Have you try to test it on a shorter cable to see the same problem still persist?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like either the longer stretch has a bandwidth limitation with one of the devices and/or you have approached the bandwidth limit of the NVR and it is throttling the bitrate of a camera.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
JDreaming, Wittaj, Flintstone61:

I'm thinking the same thing, something is limiting the throughput of the camera. I have 15 cameras on a 16 port NVR consuming on average 114,700 kbps on an NVR bandwidth capacity of 320 Mbps (160 Mbps when AI function is enabled). I have unplugged 4 of the 4k cameras during testing to see if that would help but no difference in performance. I'm thinking of unhooking the NVR, Router, and laptop and taking it down to where the PFA120 is and connecting directly there, and doing some testing to see if any changes are noticed and report back with my findings. What is strange is no matter what I change in the camera's GUI or how many cameras I unhook from the NVR, the camera's kbps never goes above 5,100 while the other identical camera stays at 10,240.

Captain_B

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I took the NVR (NVR: NVR5216-16P-I) and router down to the other building where the PFT1200 is that feeds the SD8C845FG camera. I connected only the SD8C845FG camera to the NVR with no other cameras connected and plugged it into its original #6 RJ45 port on the NVR and had no changes, the video was still choppy and kbps never rose above 4,900. I then connected the camera to port 4 on the NVR and the camera worked perfectly, 12,000+ kbps, no issues at all, and tracked perfectly.

I think I have 2 issues, the first could be the NVR is close to maxing out its bandwidth which you guys mentioned with the 15 cameras connected to it:
(8) 5241E-Z12E
(2) SD8C845FG
(2) SD6AL433XA-HNR
(2) HFW5842EZ4E-S2
(1) HDW5842T-ZE-S2
All cameras run Main Stream and sub-streams are not enabled.

When the wind blows and the cameras see the leaves blowing in the trees, all the cameras listed above will pause and skip time. If only one camera is connected to the NVR the video is perfect, with no choppy breaks.

The second issue could be the 200 feet from the NVR to the PFT1200, along with the 100 feet from the PFT1200 to the SD8C845FG camera, and may be too far for CAT 6 cable to carry 4k at 24fps with IVS rules. I hope not but if so are there any ways of increasing the limiting bandwidth without shortening the run of Cat 6 or installing underground fiber optics?

Another question is do they make an NVR with 16 or more ports and 8 of the ports ePoE (since some of my other cameras have long runs) that has double the bandwidth my present NVR has (320 Mbps (160 Mbps when AI function is enabled))? Or do you just buy another NVR like the one I have and spilt the kbps load between the two NVRs and if so can you watch one SmartPSS screen with 2 cameras each from each NVR (4 total) at the same time, the same question goes with DMSS app on my phone?

Final question, do they make some type of enhancement and or equipment that will let you push higher bandwidths through CAT 6 cable?

Thank you for your help and any suggestions you might have.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Run substreams where you can to increase available bandwidth maybe? anybody?
one clue you give us, is the motion of leaves blowing.....Causing a hiccup......Sounds like the system is being taxed.
I ended up throwing all my cameras onto a Gigabit POE switch and plugging the NVR WAN port into the switch....The the lag improved greatly....my piece o Chi NVR has an 80 Mbps bandwith WAN port. Why motherfuckers why?
it's 2024,,,,everything should be Gigabit ffs! :)