Need help with 6 camera setup. Reccomendation

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My brother is looking for a 6 camera setup. He wants text messge notification.

Three driveway cams
Three longer range cams 40 feet

DVR - he wants to get txt message or email when certain triggers or motion zones are activated

Are Andys - Empire Andy Still good cams. What are you fav model and DVR model number?

Thank you :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, Andy cams are still good!

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the 5442 camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

Are any DVR/Video recorders smart enough to send text alerts yet? ie. hooked up with service like Twilio for sending text messages.

Trying to avoid monthly fees like Ring.

What about email alerts? etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris/Computer is certainly capable of it and much more.

Many NVRs such as the Dahua OEMs that Andy sells are capable, as well as the NVR app for push notifications.