Need help with a system for my work

brandonwlk

n3wb
Reaction score
So my work has asked me to setup a new cctv system because the one they are currently using is on its last leg. i need to do an 8 camera setup and ive got a budget of $600 to $1000. can anyone help me out please. the cameras will all be outside as well. the ones from the current system all look like they are bullets

Last edited by a moderator:

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Hi Brandon, you are a bit light on the info the members will need to help you choose the right equipment, things people will need to know are

Distances and heights from target to camera
Is cat5 available at the camera locations
Is there any ambient lighting at night
What sort of surfaces are the cameras being fitted to
Will the NVR need a screen
Is internet access required to view the cameras remotely

and i am sure i have missed many questions others will have to help you choose not only the right cameras and nvr but also the right manufacture

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out what Costco is has to offer; best return policy in the business.

brandonwlk

n3wb
Reaction score
i do plan on going with cat5. all cameras will be in natural lighting. cameras are being fitted to a metal building. and yes internet access would needed. i was looking at some stuff from foscam and dahua but it seems like all the bullet cameras they offer only face straight out from the mount. i need to be able to angle the cameras to the left or right because of the way that my boss wants to be able to view the property. i hope ive provided enough information.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
screw foscam, and your entirely mistaken about the bullet mounts.. they have full range of adjustments.

brandonwlk

n3wb
Reaction score
so what would be a good brand to go with? im trying to keep the cameras around $80 to $100 a piece and the nvr around $200. and at most i only need to record in 1080.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some will say Dahua, some will say Hikvision, few to non will say Foscam,

Security cameras by there nature need to be reliable, secure and have decent support, speaking for Hikvision if you buy from an authorized re seller you should get good support and relatively reliable software for Web access, mobile access and an ok NVR interface all be it a bit old fasioned, where you would buy in the US is unknown to me as i am not US based

Dahua is also a respected manufacture, Nayr is very experienced with Dahua and i am sure can point out all the good things about that brand

My feeling is that Hikvision would be more suited to you as you are less of an enthusiast

and as Nayr states, all cameras have very adjustable mounts or can be fitted to an appropriate mount to give the angles and coverage required

Things NOT to use externally in your situation, DOME cameras, DO NOT fit dome cameras, as you are less experienced you will find it easier to use Turret or Bullet cameras, Turret cameras have become very popular as they are less obvious and threatening and tbh they just look better BUT if the cameras are fully exposed with no cover above them then bullet style cameras will be your next option, the lenses are partially protected with covers above them giving them some protection

You then need to think about what is being protected and how much detail is needed, a 2.8mm lens will give a wide angle and overall view of an area but will give very little detail on faces, a 4mm 6mm 8mm lens respectively will give closer zoomed in detail but with less of a wide angle, bigger the number, closer the zoom

And please dont ignore Nayrs post, he does not say anything for no reason - mostly

brandonwlk

n3wb
Reaction score
ive definitely taken what he has said into consideration. i found some dahua cameras that my boss was okay with on the price. they were like $98 on amazon. and i found a hikvision nvr on newegg that looks like it will do what i need it to. definitely not ending up as a $1000 budget though lol. thank you both very much for your help with this. it made it alot less stressful.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont mix and match, if you buy dahua cameras buy a dahua nvr..

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
agreed mixing and matching will give issues, dahua cameras with a Hik NVR will provide a picture but you will not be able to utilize the features properly, either buy one matching set or the other

This is the easy part, the hard part is fitting it all properly and making it available in the media that is appropriate

Pop this forum into your favorites, you are going to be needing it :)

another point to note, night vision on all but the most expensive kit is pretty poor past 10 mtrs, thats not to say everything is dark past 10mtrs just not detailed, so if you are mounting further away than 10mtrs and want decent night image quality you will need either extra infra red lighting to light up further distances or extra security lighting supplying enough illumination for the cameras to capture a decent night time image, most cameras list over exaggerated IR distances

Hikvision 4mp cameras will give poor night time image unless extra lighting is supplied, it only has to be a small amount from a low wattage light and the difference is amazing, you still will not be able to run in daylight mode at night and get a useful capture but night time mode will be pretty impressive and greatly improved

dahuas at night i have no experience with

fundean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a dell optiplex on eBay 150$, a hp compaq 8300 or similar are also super nice...
Hikavision for sure, although the reolink is nice (trying one out now)
BI is also what I use and works great... 60$
Good luck and post the system when you get it up and running!

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A US source for rebranded (I hope that's the right term) Hikvision cameras is LTS. PM forum user Milkisbad for more information on what LTS has to offer. This is the route I took and am very happy with the results. Great support as well. Like fundean, I went the dell optiplex route on ebay and run Blue Iris.

brandonwlk

n3wb
Reaction score
so my boss had me order the dahau ip cams with the hikvision nvr. now i need help getting the cameras to capture an image. the cameras are dh-ipc-hfw1320SP and the nvr is a ds-7608ni-e2/8p. i pllugged the camera into the port on the back but all im getting is the nvr saying detecting with nothing else happening. it doesnt progess any father than that.

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats because you didnt listen; your only getting plug and play if you plug em into a Dahua NVR..

and since it has PoE built in your way screwed, you have to configure all the cameras manually on there own to get them to load.. and then supported features will be minimal.. you just made this a hundred times harder on your self, good luck.

brandonwlk

n3wb
Reaction score
sadly i had left work (which was the only place i had access to the internet as i was waiting for my new phone) before i noticed your reply and the cameras had been ordered. if i return the dahau cameras and purchase hikvision ones instead will i then be able to plug and play without having to fiddle around with anything?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah or if you return the hikvision nvr and get a dahua one instead..

brandonwlk

n3wb
Reaction score
im trying to keep this at as low a cost as possible and as ive already gone 200 dollars over the limit for what he was wanting to spend i think ill have to take the hikvision route. i can tell that dahau is an extremely reliable brand and if i had more money to work with i would definitely switch over to the more expensive nvr. i truly do appreciate all your help with this.