Need help with adjusting image

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a DS-2CD2332-I and I'd like to know if there is any way to adjust the highlights so they don't blow out. What adjustments should I try that my help with this? Thanks!

IMG_5521.PNG

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Apart from swapping it for a 4mm which would be better there especially at night.

Go into the image settings and turn WDR to 20, don't go any higher than that or it'll introduce too much noise.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks Del Boy, I'll give that a try. Just curious, why do you recommend a 4mm? I figured 2.8mm would be better to cover more of my front lawn.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah it will but it's too wide, you will get horrible IR reflections from the ceiling and adjacent wall affecting your night picture. Also, you'll get better face pics of where people are walking through the fence with 4mm. And lastly, the bits far away on the lawn that 2.8mm is covering is too far away for 2.8mm to give a good face picture. You can't cover a lawn that size properly with one camera.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My main area of interest is the front door for sure which is where the flag is. I just may go ahead and exchange it for a 4mm and sacrifice a bit of the FOV. Appreciate it!

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Night IR view is not too bad but I'm going to exchange it for the 4mm version.

Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 10.33.46 PM.png

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
kinda confused... where is the door... All the way over by the steps or is it right next to where the camera is placed? If its all the way over by the steps, i'd highly recommend moving it. You'll get much better front facing shots then side shots.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lower the contrast with wdr off

or

Lower the brightness and enable wdr

Both these methods work for me to recover blown out highlights. With the second method I can make the image look exactly the same except for the highlights not blowing out. Lowering the contrast washes out the image a bit. Alot will depend on the camera though, not using your exact model.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@PSPCommOp... Thanks for the reply! Yes, the door is over by the flag and I placed the camera where it is to also capture the motion of a vehicle coming down the driveway. I realize the angle isn't ideal but it's a compromise due to what my needs are and very limited, challenging access to run a cable to above the door.

Last edited by a moderator:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@spixel... The second option works better for me, thanks! I now have Brightness set to 30 instead of 50 and WDR is set to On and 20. It helped the highlights a little but I need to test and see if the area under the porch is too dark. I don't think so but will confirm.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@PSPCommOp... Thanks for the reply! Yes, the door is over by the flag and I placed the camera where it is to also capture the motion of a vehicle coming down the driveway. I realize the angle isn't ideal but it's a compromise due to what my needs are and very limited, challenging access to run a cable to above the door.
Gotcha. If your budget allows I'd suggest getting another camera, either 4 or even 6mm would prob work great. That angle of your current camera is pretty wide and the problem is all the IR at light is hitting that front bush/tree so its going to be very dark at the actual steps/door. Its one thing to be able to see the person but you really won't be able to make out any discernible features if the person is wearing a hoodie or even a ballcap. Covering the driveway is a good idea but you're really only going to make out the style of vehicle, not a license plate with this view.

If you can do it, an additional camera with that 4 or 6mm lens could probably be placed right next to or below the current one and focused right at the steps (mounted closer to the steps, the better). That'd give you much better chance of facial recognition if you ever needed it and the additional IR light from that camera would open up this first cameras view a bit too. Just need to run one more line if that's easier or more practical for ya. If you search thru some of nayr's posts he often talks about the idea of cameras covering smaller, but more specific areas with stronger lenses to get better features. Its one thing to be able to report to police about a burglar, but its a different thing if you can provide great video with easily identifiable features.

Hope this helped!

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@PSPCommOp... great info there. So if I'm only going to be able to use one camera in this location would you say a 4mm is the best way to go. I'm curious though, maybe a 4 megapixel would be better than a 3 megapixel?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How far is this camera mounted to the pole right at the steps? I think 6mm might be better for that distance but I don't think they make the same style camera that u have in a 6mm version, just 2.8mm/4mm. I have a 2342 which is the same as yours just the 4mp version and in haven't seen a 6mm (but I haven't really looked). I have both 2.8mm and 4mm and I find there is a very noticeable improvement for fine details on the 4mm over the 2.8. So much so that in actually considering keeping the 2.8's but adjusting the angle/view and adding additional 4mm turrets or 6mm bullets in certain areas.

And as far as MP, it's gonna depend. Some of the newer ones I've read the 3mp is better then the 4mp. So it's all gonna depend on what style and model you're considering and what's in your price range. Def do some homework on each model you consider and don't hesitate to ask the for the opinions of users here who might have a camera you're considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@PSPCommOp Thanks for the reply... The camera is about 15' from that pole at the steps. It looks like my vendor has the 6mm/4.1MP version so this might be just what I need. I'm going to have to check into this and see what the FOV is.

Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 11.16.46 PM.png

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your main interest is the front door then you should move your camer over to the front door because what you have now is a distant and in-exact view of what is happening at your front door and I doubt you'll be able to identify anyone standing or passing through that door.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What brand is that?
It's an LTS camera. I just swapped out the 2.8mm/3MP camera with a 4mm/4MP camera and I like it better. Here are some comparison pictures of the two. Curious how the 4mm has a much different aspect ratio than the 2.8mm one.

Front Front (3MP) 2.8mm.jpegFront (4MP) 4mm.jpegFront Front (3MP) 2.8mm IR.jpegFront (4MP) 4mm IR.jpeg