Need help with camera selection for driveway

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My driveway is set back a fair distance from the street, and I wanted to know what the best option would be in terms of focal length for the camera. I was planning on getting the Hik 4mp turret style camera with either a 2.8mm or 4mm lens.

Shot of garage from street (similar house to mine).
Garage door shot.png

Top view of house and proposed camera locations (red and green x's).
Top of House.png

My thinking was to put a 4mm camera at the green X location approximately 7' off the ground, but then I started thinking that maybe the red location would be better to catch faces if someone was walking to the side of the house. I also was hoping to be able to read license plates off cars if they were to pull into the driveway.

Thoughts?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
4mm approx 70 degree. Yeah will work but you are concentrating alot of the image on the front of the car port. Would catch someone walking around side of house I guess.

I would prefer 6mm but then you aren't covering side of house.

Ideal solution: One 4mm on the front of the car port covering the choke point that is the end of your drive and a bit on the side + One 2.8mm Where green is, covering your car and carport and that inside bit. You'll definitely get license plates and good faces with that.

You don't need to get the latest 4MP for everywhere. I'd get DS-2CD2332-I 2.8mm for the inside bit. But maybe another DS-2CD2342WD-I for the 4mm outdoor one.

steve457

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I like those options. Will look into trying to get cat5/6 to the carport (that is going to be tricky). Thanks again.