Need Help with Dahua Audio Install

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been running this camera from Amazon for about 2 years:
Loryta Smart 4MP Ultra Low Light Starlight+ WDR IR Bullet AI IP Camera 2.7mm ~12mm Motorized Lens, ePOE and POE Support, Smart H.264+/H.265+,IP67,IK10 Protection IPC-B5442E-ZE

But now I'd like to get the audio working, although I'm not sure how. I'm running Blue Iris on an older Dell Optiplex, so there is only a single 3.5mm line-in. I bought an RCA to 3.5mm converter cable that takes 2 RCA connectors into a single 3.5 mm. (Amazon.com: JSAUX RCA Cable, [6.6ft/2M, Dual Shielded Gold-Plated] 3.5mm Male to 2RCA Male Stereo Audio Adapter Coaxial Cable Nylon Braided AUX RCA Y Cord for Smartphones, MP3, Tablets, Speakers, HDTV [Grey] : Industrial & Scientific )

I guess I have a few questions because it's not simple plug and play.
1. Will this setup even work, or do I need an audio card for my computer?
2. Is this the right cable to use, from RCA to 3.5mm?
3. How do I get audio working? Do I have to log in to the camera, to BI, or to both?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not need to run the audio back to the computer. Simply connect it to the audio in jack/wire on the 5442-ZE bullet and then the audio gets transmitted back via POE to the computer. As long as the computer has speakers, you will hear it.

You will need to supply power to the mic, either with an adapter on the POE to pull power or run a power line to the camera.

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh wow, I was completely not understanding how audio works. I thought that the camera had a built in mic! I was way off.

Ok, so what I really need is a separate mic for the camera? Which ones do people use?

You do not need to run the audio back to the computer. Simply connect it to the audio in jack/wire on the 5442-ZE bullet and then the audio gets transmitted back via POE to the computer. As long as the computer has speakers, you will hear it.

You will need to supply power to the mic, either with an adapter on the POE to pull power or run a power line to the camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You've been so helpful, thank you!

Does the 5442 turret run the stream back on the Ethernet cable? I happen to have one of those and honestly didn't even know about the built in mic. So I could just move it to the location where I want audio.
Yes it does.
In the cameras gui setup, you will need to make sure the audio is turned on, and the "Noise Filter" is turned off.
Then in BI run find/inspect. And you should have audio.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, simply enable the audio on the turret (it is off by default), and most of us have found that running it with Noise cancellation disabled works best.

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice.

I can hear the audio live in the web interface but not in Blue Iris. In BI I did go into the audio settings and enabled and chose the camera stream for the audio. What else would I be missing? I have disabled noise filter.

Yep, simply enable the audio on the turret (it is off by default), and most of us have found that running it with Noise cancellation disabled works best.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice.

I can hear the audio live in the web interface but not in Blue Iris. In BI I did go into the audio settings and enabled and chose the camera stream for the audio. What else would I be missing?
Are you sitting at the BI machine or Remote Desktop in?

As Remote Desktop, you will not hear it unless you run BI as not a service. It is a known issue that running as a service and RDP and you will not hear audio. You will hear playback though with Remote Desktop.

Did you do the find/inspect again on the camera in BI?

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep I'm sitting right at the machine. The problem in BI seems to be find/inspect. It's not finding any audio Path.

Are you sitting at the BI machine or Remote Desktop in?

As Remote Desktop, you will not hear it unless you run BI as not a service. It is a known issue that running as a service and RDP and you will not hear audio. You will hear playback though with Remote Desktop.

Did you do the find/inspect again on the camera in BI?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder if you need to delete and re-add - when you add a camera, there is a checkbox to use the audio. Maybe try to add it as a duplicate first and see if audio comes in?

In the audio tab under BI are you telling it to use that camera or the pull down and then picking that camera? It should be the top option of the 3 ways to have audio.

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I tried deleting the camera, and re-adding, and clicking on the enable audio box when I re-added it. But no luck. Here are some screenshots from my setup.

It is working fine from the Web GUI - I can hear the audio. But it's not coming through to BI.

Thanks for all of your help!

1630864569674.png

1630864532209.png

1630864491294.png

Wonder if you need to delete and re-add - when you add a camera, there is a checkbox to use the audio. Maybe try to add it as a duplicate first and see if audio comes in?

In the audio tab under BI are you telling it to use that camera or the pull down and then picking that camera? It should be the top option of the 3 ways to have audio.

JacobBrooks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep it's a 5442 turret. The audio works through the IE GUI but not BI. And I've deleted and added again. Guess I'll just email BI support since I just paid for it. Will update if I solve the issue!

And this camera is definitely a 5442 Turret?
Have re-ran find/inspect since updating to new version?