Need help with evaluating Blue Iris for motion alerts

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm winding down on my evaluation period for Sighthound and I must say I've been pretty pleased with how it has worked so far. However, I really want to give Blue Iris a go and see how it performs before I make my decision on which one to purchase.

In looking at the Motion/Trigger tab I'd like to know what settings would be most conducive to alerting me for motion of people. I have attached the current settings which are pretty much default I believe.

Also, if I purchase Blue Iris for $59.95, do I still have to pay to get the iOS app? I prefer to get alerts on my iPhone so I'd like to know about this too.

One other question for now... I'm running two cameras and BI is using 55% - 70% CPU. Is that typical?

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Disable object detect reject.... Lower your make time to 1 second or less...Yes you will need to purchase the app..

Sent via Taptalk

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman... I have made those changes. So you're okay with the sensitivity setting it seems.

It's too bad I can't evaluate BI with the iOS app working to get the full picture of how it would work for me in the way I'd like to use it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman... I have made those changes. So you're okay with the sensitivity setting it seems.

It's too bad I can't evaluate BI with the iOS app working to get the full picture of how it would work for me in the way I'd like to use it.
The sensitivity will vary depending on how close to the camera you want the target to be before it triggers. There are two ways to ensure that you dont miss any motion yet dont get lots of false alerts.
1) cloned cameras..one for alerts only, one for recording. Set the threshold for recording VERY low, set the threshold for alerts high...
2) Record 24/7 and simply use motion detection to mark motion in the timeline.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks again... I'll need to do a little reading up on cloning cameras. We like getting alerts via SMS so I guess I'll mess around with the sensitivity and see what works for us as it relates to how far away we want to capture motion but not dogs etc.

So what am I seeing in the Clips panel exactly? I understand the Alerts shown but what am I seeing when I select All? I know I'll have more questions during the eval so I appreciate the patience for this BI newbie! :D

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To clone a camera simply add a new camera with the same credentials..
In the clips panel you can see a light of clips..alerts, new, or all...etc...

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks again @fenderman... does BI continue to record even when the app is not running like Sighthound? Also, I'm noticing the BI reports "No signal" frequently where SH has never had that issue. Is there something I need to check or tweak to help remedy that? Thanks for your patience!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again @fenderman... does BI continue to record even when the app is not running like Sighthound? Also, I'm noticing the BI reports "No signal" frequently where SH has never had that issue. Is there something I need to check or tweak to help remedy that? Thanks for your patience!
The program must be running..either as an application or a service (you can set it as a service in the startup options)...sighthound also must be running in some fashion to record.
As far as no signal what cameras are you using? try increasing the receive buffer to 10mb, in the video config settings.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm running two LTS CMIP3032s. I'll try the buffer setting. Appreciate it.

Edit: Didn't seem to help. Also getting digital "smearing" every now and then where 3/4 of the image is blurry. Almost like the pixels are stretched vertically. Tried capturing a screen shot but couldn't.

Edit2: Got a screen shot attached.

Attachments