Need help with GeoVision

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am an electrician that specializes in automation and control not a camera guy. I have a client that bought a small manufacturing plant a few years ago. It had an IP camera system set up in the building that was disconnected for some office renovation. The system has 13 GeoVision cameras scattered around the building connected to 2 routers that patch back to a dedicated SilverStone server running GeoVision GV-VMS software. They asked me to see if I could reconnect the system and see if it still worked. It all came back up and I could see all of the cameras on the display with the exception of 2 cameras that had been stolen while it was offline. I bought 2 new GeoVision replacement cameras which brings me to my problem. I cannot access the software settings because of password protection. There is no file remaining in the company that might have contained the password and none of the remaining employees had the password. I have even contacted the previous owner and he remembered using the password one time but couldn't remember what it was. He even gave me a bunch that he would normally use but none of them worked.
So, the question is, is there a way to override the password in the GV-VMS or can I buy an NVR and try to manually add all the cameras to it? Or should I tell them to just buy a new system and start over?
Thanks in advance or any help.

Dingoboy

n3wb
Reaction score
As long as the software is free, I would just uninstall the software and either reinstall it or choose another VMS. There are quite a few free ones that would support 13 cameras. Just make sure the one you choose support the cameras you have.

Reaction score
As long as the software is free, I would just uninstall the software and either reinstall it or choose another VMS. There are quite a few free ones that would support 13 cameras. Just make sure the one you choose support the cameras you have.
I hadn't considered that. I didn't look for the software. I just assumed it was a licensed item. I'll check it out. Thanks

Reaction score
Downloaded the GV-VMS and tested it out on my PC before uninstalling it on the clients server. Worked great and was able to add one of the cameras. I decided to make sure uninstall/reinstall would go smoothly so I did it on mine before messing with his. It still retains the password from the original install though. So, I don't really see this as a viable solution. Is there a file where I can delete the password externally from the software or another VMS software that would work with GeoVision cameras? Or am I back to replacing the server? Maybe an NVR?

Reaction score
Ok, I think my next solution is to buy the Blue Iris and install it on their server. I installed it on my PC and connected to the GeoVision camera I bought to replace the stolen cameras. So it seems as though I should be able to make that work with minimal expense. My issue is that the BI did not find the camera and I had to manually input the IP address to connect. That is really only an issue because I do not know the IP addresses of the existing cameras. How can I get the addresses from the GV-VSM if I can't access it? Is there another way to get the individual IP addresses?

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I think my next solution is to buy the Blue Iris and install it on their server. I installed it on my PC and connected to the GeoVision camera I bought to replace the stolen cameras. So it seems as though I should be able to make that work with minimal expense. My issue is that the BI did not find the camera and I had to manually input the IP address to connect. That is really only an issue because I do not know the IP addresses of the existing cameras. How can I get the addresses from the GV-VSM if I can't access it? Is there another way to get the individual IP addresses?

While YOUR pc is connected to the cameras and is running GV-VMS, go to -Start- -Geovision- and run -GV IP Device Utility-. It will tell you the IP address of all the cameras.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi - geovision has a restore/backup function. If you run it you can load the factory defaults.