Need help with outdoor PIR power connection options

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First of all, I hope this thread is in the right section. Apologies if not.

Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm trying to figure out what options I have to power an outdoor PIR motion detector for my home surveillance system and would like to get some opinions/advice from the experts. The following diagram is a concept of what I think it could work, but I'm not sure.

My new Hikvision NVR does not have any alarm inputs and I'm forced to connect the PIR sensor directly to the camera (DS-2CD2132F-IS). The PIR will be closer to the second camera (DS-2CD2032), so I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to power it on. Based on the diagram my preferred option is to use the same cat5e cable connection and power the PIR motion sensor and camera with what I labeled Option 1. I have been trying to figured out if powering 2 devices using PoE would be ok, so I researched the specs and power requirements for the camera and PIR as well as the PoE switch power output and think I can do it (cat5e cable length is about 50 feet). At the same time I can be completely wrong, so that's why I need some expert advice. If this is not a viable solution, would Option 2 work? I'm still learning all this electrical mumble-jumble of Volts, Amps, Watts, etc... and I want to make sure I don't fry the equipment or even worse, burn the house! :D Option 3 would be to use a power supply directly to the PIR. In the event option 1 or 2 wouldn't work, can someone please shine some light my way. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't really answer your question, but I do like your diagram.. :D

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
WARNING !!!!!!!
Here you will simply burn your PIR detector if you don't take care....

Standard POE voltage from switch will be always 48v and never 12v (12v/24v exists only with some proprietary ad-doc devices).

For power, also standard POE link drain 15w or less .
Your switch answers to rules : 802.3af (take a look using Google)
so 48v with 350mA per output

The only best solution is "Option 1", but you will need to add 12v PSU unit placed near your switch to inject in the RJ cable via another pigtail messing in your diagram who needs to be placed near your switch to isolated the 48v and allow the 12v injection in the RJ cable, then power the cam through 12v plug and split this power at arrrival using a pigtail to go to your Pir too.
These will works.
Take care not to mix POE from Switch and POE 12v injected with your pigtails.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
WARNING !!!!!!!
Here you will simply burn your PIR detector if you don't take care....

Standard POE voltage from switch will be always 48v and never 12v (12v/24v exists only with some proprietary ad-doc devices).

For power, also standard POE link drain 15w or less .
Your switch answers to rules : 802.3af (take a look using Google)
so 48v with 350mA per output

The only best solution is "Option 1", but you will need to add 12v PSU unit placed near your switch to inject in the RJ cable via another pigtail messing in your diagram who needs to be placed near your switch to isolated the 48v and allow the 12v injection in the RJ cable, then power the cam through 12v plug and split this power at arrrival using a pigtail to go to your Pir too.
These will works.
Take care not to mix POE from Switch and POE 12v injected with your pigtails.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the warning! This aspect of DC power/amps is still confusing for me. So based on the information above, since 802.3af (48v w/ 350mA per output), would I be able to add an active PoE splitter like the TP-LINK TL-POE10R as shown in my modified diagram below? This should change the 48v 350mA max to 12v 1A output... right? :confused2:

These are the the power consumption specs:

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I ----- Max. 5 W (Max. 7 W with IR cut filter on); Online Volts/Amps/Watts converter tool gives me 0.5833333333333334 amps for 12v / 7W

Optex LX-402 ----------------- 25mA max.

If this solution is not possible, then I'm just going to power the PIR directly to a power supply and call it :D Thanks for taking the time to help!

riri7707

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To make it simple, here you cannot use the POE from switch if you want to use the PIR from same power.
What you need :

RJ 45 from switch to pigtail who have RJ45 + power plug. (means power from POE doesn't been injected in the RJ 45 cable.
in the power plug of pigtail, you inject 12v DC from separate power adapter (here, you inject only the 12v through RJ45 to the cam side)

At the other point, you need also a pigtail : RJ 45 + power plug.
The RJ 45 goes to cam, but the cam was not powered as the power reach only the power plug of the pigtail. and not available on RJ45 plug
You need to add a power splitter to have one side going to the cam to power it with 12v
the other side of the power spliter goes to PIR to power it.

As result, using 2 pigtails + a power splitter, you manage 12v from Switch side till the cam and PIR.
But you never use the POE 48v available in your switch RJ45.
This provides an isolation of the 48v (non used), and allows 12v general power for the cam and PIR.
But you need to add external power 12v DC

Hope this helps.

wideLoad

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure this was ever 100% answered. Can someone explain if this is possible:

1. Normal POE switch
  2. 50 Ft run of Cat5e (connected to POE switch)
  3. At far end of 50ft Cat5e, attach a TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet PoE Splitter Adapter (TL-PoE10R)
  4. A DC barrel plug splitter so you now have 2 12V DC outputs
  5. Plug one 12VDC barrel plug to the camera, another to the power in on Optex LX-402 PIR (you'll need a barrel plug to bare wire adapter here)
  6. Plug ethernet into camera
  7. Run the alarm out on the Optex to the alarm in on the Camera.
Although OP's posting is not exactly this (his is a bit more complex due to 2 cameras) from my reading of this thread, the general concept of steps 1-7 above sounds "not possible". But I can't see why not (assuming that the cam and the optex draw less than max wattage allowed on POE but that seems pretty plausible). Ideas? Thanks!