Need help with powering IP cameras

gta1216

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought the JideTech 5MP PTZ WiFi Camera Outdoor with 5X Optical Zoom Camera. Since the power adapter is too short, I was thinking of either getting a power extension with the 2.1mm x 5.5mm connectors, or POE injector. I contacted JideTech and they said I can connect a POE splitter to the camera, then connect to a NVR or router with POE function. I am not using a NVR for the cameras (no plan at the moment). What do I need if I want to connect a POE injector to the camera? Most of the POE injectors I saw comes with a POE splitter as a kit.

The cameras would installed outdoor, but the HOA said we cannot drill holes thru the walls nor install cable covers / raceways outside. Our only option is to run the network cable into the house via the patio door and casement window, so the ethernet cable would have to be the flat type so the patio door and casement window can close as much as possible. I hope no one can pry the door / window open with the cable running thru them. The nearest power outlet is approx 30 feet away from where we plan to mount each of the 2 cameras.

Can someone suggest the items (POE splitter, injector, special network cable, etc) we would need for the above setup? Is there a certain type of network cable we would need for outdoor without cover / raceway? I see POE injectors with different watts, etc.

This is the camera I bought.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The lesson here is that wireless isn't actually wireless. Flat ethernet cables won't work out. Extending the power cable is probably the best solution for you, but keep in mind there is a power loss from the connectors as well as the cable. You don't mention how far you'd need to extend things, but if it's over 25 feet use a 16 gauge cable. If under 25 feet an 18 gauge cable will work and can be had on Amazon complete with connectors. They're usually zipcord, lamp style, so they have a somewhat flatter profile.

gta1216

n3wb
Reaction score
I think we will need approx 30 feet from the camera to the nearest power outlet, for each camera. I tried looking on Amazon for 16 gauge cable with 2.1mm x 5.5mm connectors. I have no clue what I'm looking for. Can you give me the link to some that you would suggest?

What about these?
The original charger that came with the camera shows. Should I continue to use this charger with the extension? The seller / vendor said the extension would cause voltage instability, etc.
Input: 100-240V~50/60Hz 1.0A Max
Output: 12V 2.0A (I cannot type the equal symbol with the dotted line on the bottom between 12V and 2.0A)
This is the same diagram on the original charger. https://www.iso.org/obp/graphics/grs/06 ... 9c_200.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a crap shoot with any of those cables. They don't specify wire gauge so there's no real way to tell how good they actually are. Given that it's a 2 amp wall wart to power the camera you may get away with it, but no guarantees on that.

gta1216

n3wb
Reaction score
Like I said, I tried looking on Amazon for 16 gauge cable with 2.1mm x 5.5mm connectors. I have no clue what I'm looking for. The person who is installing the camera would only be available for the next 2 weeks, so I am hoping to have all the accessories delivered within this coming week. Can you suggest the cables and whatever else I need?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The HOA says you can't install a small cable through the soffit of your own home? If you can mount the camera to the soffit by drilling a tiny hole for the mounting screw to go into, how would they know if you drilled a tiny hole right underneath it to route your ethernet cable or power cable? :secret:Do they really come and take your camera down to see if you drilled a hole?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The HOA says you can't install a small cable through the soffit of your own home? If you can mount the camera to the soffit by drilling a tiny hole for the mounting screw to go into, how would they know if you drilled a tiny hole right underneath it to route your ethernet cable or power cable? :secret:Do they really come and take your camera down to see if you drilled a hole?
That's what I was thinking. What kind of weird ass rule is that? You can mount a camera but you can't drill a hole through a wall? But no problem with a wire hanging down running into a window? Makes no sense.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Who ever said that common sense exists on an HOA board?
There isn't enough money available to offer me to buy a house where every single Nancy can stick their fat nose in the middle of my property and dictate to me what I can and can't do to my own property. That is why I own a farm and my house is a 1/3rd of a mile off the road, behind a hill, sitting in the woods. Yeah.....I can walk around butt nekid all day....luckily the deer, fox and raccoons don't have smart phones, yet.......

Reaction score
I suggest that you consider the following PoE splitter that provides 12 V @ 2A. This device has a 12 V barrel connector that should fit your camera:
You'll also need to power the splitter with a PoE injector:
Get a standard Ethernet cable and plug it into the injector, then run that to just inside whatever window you're mounting the camera. Next, use a female-to-female coupler to transition to a short flat Ethernet cable, which you can run under the window sill.

Outside the window, attach the PoE splitter, then plug the 12 VDC power plug into your camera. The drawback is that you need to figure out how to waterproof the splitter, as it will be exposed to the elements.

gta1216

n3wb
Reaction score
One of the first option I thought about was to run the wires thru the soffit, but that means we have to run over 30ft of cables on the outside since we live in a 3 story townhome. The roof is over 40ft high. I remember the satellite dish installer had to bring a 50ft ladder to install the dish on the firewall.

gta1216

n3wb
Reaction score
I suggest that you consider the following PoE splitter that provides 12 V @ 2A. This device has a 12 V barrel connector that should fit your camera:
You'll also need to power the splitter with a PoE injector:
Get a standard Ethernet cable and plug it into the injector, then run that to just inside whatever window you're mounting the camera. Next, use a female-to-female coupler to transition to a short flat Ethernet cable, which you can run under the window sill.

Outside the window, attach the PoE splitter, then plug the 12 VDC power plug into your camera. The drawback is that you need to figure out how to waterproof the splitter, as it will be exposed to the elements.
I will be using a junction box between the camera and the wall, so I can hide the pigtail inside. The base of the camera mount is almost 3" x 4". I can ask my friend to get a slightly bigger junction box so the splitter and pigtail would fit.

If I am going to transition from round to flat ethernet cable at the window, I was thinking something like this () on the outside. Or, can I use flat ethernet cable all the way from the splitter on the outside to the POE injector inside, or if flat ethernet cable no recommended?

I read somewhere that regular ethernet cable will deteriorate from UV if left exposed to the elements. Is that true? Does Cat5E or Cat6 matter?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Do not, DO NOT, use flat ethernet cable. It will introduce too much loss and crosstalk into the signal. Flat cable may work acceptable for normal PC use but constant streaming video is a different story. Surveillance video is not at all like streaming Netflix, there is no buffering at all and very little tolerance of lost packets. The packet loss introduced by flat cable will more than likely be very disruptive to the video stream. Keep the cable protected from being crushed with a simple piece of closed cell weatherproofing foam on the window sill and it's available from the big box stores.

There are outdoor rated, UV stabilized, CAT5e and CAT6 cables available.

Reaction score
Do not, DO NOT, use flat ethernet cable. It will introduce too much loss and crosstalk into the signal. Flat cable may work acceptable for normal PC use but constant streaming video is a different story. Surveillance video is not at all like streaming Netflix, there is no buffering at all and very little tolerance of lost packets. The packet loss introduced by flat cable will more than likely be very disruptive to the video stream. Keep the cable protected from being crushed with a simple piece of closed cell weatherproofing foam on the window sill and it's available from the big box stores.

There are outdoor rated, UV stabilized, CAT5e and CAT6 cables available.
I have to disagree with that, as I have used flat Ethernet cable for the "under the window sill" trick on several cameras. It works fine as long as you keep it short. I certainly wouldn't attempt it for very long runs, but I don't need to. I transition from round cable to flat cable just before the window.

I've been doing this for nearly three years, winter and summer weather, with no issues. The part of the flat cable that is exposed to the weather (before going into the camera junction box) does stay out of direct sunlight, which undoubtedly helps.

It's not elegant, but if you're in a situation where you can't drill holes, it does work.

Reaction score
I will be using a junction box between the camera and the wall, so I can hide the pigtail inside. The base of the camera mount is almost 3" x 4". I can ask my friend to get a slightly bigger junction box so the splitter and pigtail would fit.

If I am going to transition from round to flat ethernet cable at the window, I was thinking something like this () on the outside. Or, can I use flat ethernet cable all the way from the splitter on the outside to the POE injector inside, or if flat ethernet cable no recommended?

I read somewhere that regular ethernet cable will deteriorate from UV if left exposed to the elements. Is that true? Does Cat5E or Cat6 matter?
I've used those weatherproof couplers myself. They work extremely well, but they're only needed if the female-to-female coupler will be exposed to the weather.

My intention was that you use the PoE injector with a regular cable, right up to the interior of some window, then switch over to a flat cable that goes under the window sill and outside to a junction box that is mounted nearby the window. You'll put the splitter inside that junction box and mount the camera on it.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are attempting?