Need help with remote wifi access.

Reaction score
I am new to all this and seem to have a mental block understanding network and remote connection issues.

I have a Lorex LNW16XF wifi camera that works perfectly on my home wifi network and I can access the camera remotely via the Lorex Home app on my Android phone when using my cell phone data connection. How do I access the camera when connected to a remote wifi? I know how to access my Asus RT-AC56U router via my home computer to make any adjustments however all the online help assumes a basic knowledge of networking above my pay grade and seems to apply to specific routers.

I did find an instruction that told me to “enable web access from WAN using port 8443” but that didn't seem to help
Please go easy with the acronyms!!

Thanks
Tony

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Set up a VPN with your gateway router.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am new to all this and seem to have a mental block understanding network and remote connection issues.

I have a Lorex LNW16XF wifi camera that works perfectly on my home wifi network and I can access the camera remotely via the Lorex Home app on my Android phone when using my cell phone data connection. How do I access the camera when connected to a remote wifi? I know how to access my Asus RT-AC56U router via my home computer to make any adjustments however all the online help assumes a basic knowledge of networking above my pay grade and seems to apply to specific routers.

I did find an instruction that told me to “enable web access from WAN using port 8443” but that didn't seem to help
Please go easy with the acronyms!!

Thanks
Tony
Did you scan a QR code during setup of the camera?

Reaction score
I have been considering a VPN for other reasons but can anyone explain how I would use a VPN to solve my particular camera problem?
To recap - I can access the camera via my cell phone data plan but not from a remote wifi.

Thanks
Tony

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
...[...] To recap - I can access the camera via my cell phone data plan but not from a remote wifi.
So with wifi disabled on your phone you can use the Android app to connect to your system?

Reaction score
I think I know the answer which is probably obvious to tech savvy types.

I omitted to say that the locations whose wifi wouldn't connect with my camera were Tim Hortons and McDonalds in Canada and these locations are well known for blocking certain network ports. e.g. VOIP is blocked. When I tried using a private wifi I connected to the camera just fine. There may be a solution using a VPN installed on my phone (as was suggested above) but I'm happy now that I have an explanation.

Thanks for the responses
Tony

Reaction score
This solved my problem.

I loaded the ExpressVPN app onto my Android phone and I can now access the camera by public wifi in those places that wouldn't work before. I didn't put it on my home router which I assume is what you were suggesting. I tried two other VPNs including NordVPN and they didn't work. So far Express is also letting me use US Netflix from Canada which is a bonus and makes the subscription worth it it, apart from the extra security

Tony