Need help with some Networking and choosing PTZs

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So the buddy I helped install cameras for with the goats and Birdhouse LPR cams wants to install some more!

PTZ's
This time he wants to do (2) PTZ's with say 25-40X Starlights, and a couple more bullets, likely 5442 VF's..
He'd rather spend a few more $ and get good PTZ's. I'm a novice when it comes to PTZ's but have been reading up. I think we'd like to go with the 1/1.8” sensor, so I guess that limits things. He's got line of sight out to 1000ft so something with 250M IR at least I think..

Any opinions on these?
@jmcu ?

>>Ultra
4MP AI
SD8A440WA-HNF

2MP AI
SD8A240WA-HNF

2MP non AI
SD10A248V-HNI

>>Pro
2MP AI
SD6AL233XA-HNR-IR

***It's possible he may back down on one PTZ and go simple, in case of a more "standard but quality 2MP Starlight PTZ with the 1/2.8” sensor with 500ft max viewing area..
Was thinking this:?
1/2.8 sensor
SD6CE230U-HNI

NVR
Need a 8ch NVR for the barn where these cameras will feed to. We like the built-in PoE and have experience with them. But it needs to handle the 2 PTZ's along with 2 bullets. Again rather spend a few more $ to get a solid NVR

The Lite model?

Or the Pro model? (which would be way overkill as he's only planning on 4 cameras for now..

Network/Power
So he'll be running Cat5 approx 200ft to the barn from the house router to get Interwebs access to the above "barn" NVR and cameras. His other NVR at the house is also connected to the router.
Will that be all he needs? Do I have to be concerned with needing a switch because of the PTZ's?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
@bigredfish , IMO the AI doesn't justify the price point at this time for the average home user. It is really overkill unless you just want the latest cool toy...( and I do ) but I still don't have a AI PTZ.
All of these cameras are great cameras but I can say the SD10A248V-HNI is the best one I own, the image stands out at night and the zoom is great.

But is it worth twice+ the price over a SD6CE230U-HNI ?? I don't think so.... Unless you need the extra zoom and IR, 10 vs 6.

When I first set up a SD6CE230U-HN for someone I was a little worried comparing it to the Ultra's I have.
But after using it a while I thought it was pretty good for the price and I bought one for myself.
I do think the SD6CE230U-HNI is better and worth the extra $$ than the SD59230.. (black face) series.

I think the Ultra series definitely have a better picture and If the price isn't that far off I would go for the AI 4mp.
If you want to go all out with zoom get the SD10A260WA-HNF for ~ 2 grand gives you the best they got in 2mp....

As far as the NVR's I have 2 models 5208/4108 4ks2 - not the PoE versions. I prefer using a switch so I can address the cameras myself and log into them for the settings without the NVR.
The lite series has gotten better with the firmware but I prefer 52XX series.
The AI's look interesting but I haven't tried one out yet.

If you have several cams at the barn with a PoE NVR and a PoE NVR at the house I am not sure how each of the NVR's address the cameras and are you able to change the IP addresses of the cameras if needed ?
I have only had 1 PoE NVR and I didn't like how it automatically assigned the IP addresses for all the cameras so that is why I don't use them.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @jmcu , exactly what i was hoping to get was some good experienced feedback. This guy is a Go Big or Go Home type and as long as he's under $2K he;s fine with price.

On the the 2 NVR's, i think both being PoE there is not conflict as they can only see the cameras attached to them. To your pont the NVR assigns 10.1.1.x addresses to them automagically but you cant reach them directly, only through the NVR interface (well or SmartPSS etc) His home network is 192.168.1.x

So lets say he goes with the SD10A248V-HNI , which looks great minus AI to your point, (or even the 4MP AI cam) will the NVR power the beast by itself? or do I need to do something different???? No experience with these monsters.....

I see the power ratings of the NVR (NVR5216-8P-I)

Power SupplySingle, AC100V ~ 240V, 50 ~ 60 Hz
Power ConsumptionNVR: <15.6W (Without HDD)
PoE: Max 25.5W for single port

130W total rated power, 80% control for protection

and the SD10A248V-HNI ...... (no heater)

Power SupplyAC 24V/5A(±25%), Hi-PoE
Power Consumption24W, 38W (IR on, Heater on)

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
That would be cutting it too close I would think and 26W, 42W (Heater on, IR on) for the 4mp exceeds the NVR per port specs.
I have my large camera and another long drop (350') wired for 24v powered with their 5A transformer that comes with the camera with no issues and that's with the heater on all winter.

I would use AC if he has a convenient outlet in the barn or a cheap BV tech switch for the camera, port 1 has 60w and then just run that back to the NVR

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for info on the Ultra AI series PTZ SD8A840WA-HNF. I'll be throwing mine up some time next week. @tech101 should have his up in the next few days.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I still rate highly the Dahua SD6AE240V-HNI. @jmcu How is yours stacking up against your other High end PTZ's?

ermac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For power, just to power the PTZ consider also a PoE+ injector as an option if he doesn't have an AC outlet in the barn. I run my PTZ on a PoE+ injector and it seems to work fine, I don't see any draw backs and made installation easy without needing to upgrade my Switches to PoE+ switches just to power 1 camera that needs 30w.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for info on the Ultra AI series PTZ SD8A840WA-HNF. I'll be throwing mine up some time next week. @tech101 should have his up in the next few days.

I do have a 48 Port POE+ Switch but nothing to power the new SD8A840WA-HNF . So I just got the

Will try to get it powered up this weekend hopefully.. To do some testing. Once again thank you everyone and also @pinko Thank you ! as well and Andy you are always super helpful..He has shown again and again how he can go above and beyond. His customer server skills dont just get customer but make them customers for life... :) Andy soon I will be showing those new cameras to my friends as well.. They might order some too..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
The 4108 though small, compact, and considered lite series, don't underestimate it. A friend of mine was reluctant to consider separate PoE switches and wanted the more simplified approach.
I agree the 4108 is a very good NVR.

I still rate highly the Dahua SD6AE240V-HNI. @jmcu How is yours stacking up against your other High end PTZ's?
The SD6AE240V-HNI is my second best camera, it has a awesome image at 2mp and it gives my 4k PTZ a run for it's money, I like it better than the SD6AE830VN-HNI at night.

For power, just to power the PTZ consider also a PoE+ injector as an option if he doesn't have an AC outlet in the barn. I run my PTZ on a PoE+ injector and it seems to work fine, I don't see any draw backs and made installation easy without needing to upgrade my Switches to PoE+ switches just to power 1 camera that needs 30w.
A PoE+ injector 802.3at( 30.8W) works just fine for a normal PTZ @ 30W but you would need to use a 802.3bt (60W) for these big PTZ 's drawing 38-42W