Need help with switch/router setup

treatcg

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in the beginning stages of purchasing all my parts for a BI setup. I am a little confused on the proper way to use a POE switch for the cameras. I currently just have a Netgear 1900 wifi router. I have my work laptop docking station and a NVIDIA Shield TV Pro plugged in 2 of the 4 ports in the back. I plan to buy a separate computer that will only be used for the cameras. Assuming it will be ok to plug the BI computer in to the router or would it need to be plugged in to the switch with cameras? Then plug whatever 8 channel POE switch I decide on in to the router. The switch would only be used for the cameras.

Thanks,
Clayton

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Plug the BI PC into the switch for the cameras. Most multi-port PoE switches have an uplink port, or two, that work well for this. The idea is to keep the video traffic off of the router which normally doesn't have the bandwidth to handle a lot of traffic. Remember the video cameras never stop transmitting data. That PoE switch can aso be plugged in to your router so that you can access BI, using UI3. UI3 doesn't use anything close to the bandwidth that a bunch of cameras will.

The best solution, in terms of security anyway, is to add a second NIC card to the BI PC and connect that to the PoE switch for the cameras. This allows an entirely different subnet to be used for the cameras and keeps them from any access to the Internet so they can't "phone home" or be targets of hackers. The "main" NIC of the BI PC can then be plugged in to the router to allow access while still keeping the cameras isolated.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I am in the beginning stages of purchasing all my parts for a BI setup. I am a little confused on the proper way to use a POE switch for the cameras. I currently just have a Netgear 1900 wifi router. I have my work laptop docking station and a NVIDIA Shield TV Pro plugged in 2 of the 4 ports in the back. I plan to buy a separate computer that will only be used for the cameras. Assuming it will be ok to plug the BI computer in to the router or would it need to be plugged in to the switch with cameras? Then plug whatever 8 channel POE switch I decide on in to the router. The switch would only be used for the cameras.
If the BI 'puter does not already have one... buy a second network interface adapter for it. Make sure it is Ethernet, not wireless. One network connection from the BI machine will connect to the 8 port PoE switch you referred to. The cameras will also connect to the PoE switch. This will be the 'secure' camera network.

The other network connection from the BI machine will connect to your Netgear 1900 router.

Check the wiki for help to configure BI when it comes time: Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

Also, be sure to turn off windows 10 auto updates: Disable Windows 10's Automatic Driver Updates